Home » Audio » Group Build » The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes
Re: I think I can guess the origin of that quote.... [message #31563 is a reply to message #31548] Mon, 05 December 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Oscillations can be "perfidious" - sometimes some notes/music material can "trigger" unstable amp into burst of oscillations. Sometimes they are on very high frequencies, and not in "full strenght". Amp can works, but the sound suffers - screechy, glassy, weak, undinamical, strange distorted sound are some of the symptoms. It must be discovered and cured (sometimes not that easy)...

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31564 is a reply to message #31518] Sun, 04 December 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Hi Damir:

I've been thinking about the topic being discussed and the interest in this phenomenon... well... here are several thoughts on the subject...

first thought... we should separate out anode (plate) chokes from grid chokes. As they perform different functions and are used and spec'd differently. the plate choke must ordinarily be designed to accomadate unbal dc plate currents and thus generally requires an air gap. A "grid choke" typically is used with a dc blocking condensor and is designed as an "ac only" device. The magnitude of L that you want from each may also be quite different.

second thought....

the example you provided... quoted below...

:::300pF in parallel with 80pF input capacitance of 300B is 380pF. And with high impedance driver (cascode, pentode, high rp tubes common cathode...), say Rout~15kOhms, we have f-3= 1/(2*3,141*15000*380*10^-12) = 27,9 kHz , limited frequency response of the driver.:::

this is with a very high impedance tube... and generally when you want to drive a 300B grid your going to use a tube with a much, much lower internal plate resistance. Say anything btwn a low of 800 ohms to 5000 ohms or even 7000 ohms would be much more typical (I think)...

with a low impedance driver and a high shunt capcitance the -3db cutoff frequency would then still be much greater than 27.9khz.

as with all devices and circuits... the designer must optimize his/her circuit and use a topology that makes sense and produces good results.

For example... it is much tougher to build a plate choke for a tube with an r sub p of 15K... and generally these tubes are operated at much less plate current.... so they are not even generally spec'd or used to drive the grids of triodes which do have higher internal capacitances... so with triodes most designers aim at using a tube with much lower r sub p and perhaps greater bias currents.

if your going to use a tube with an r sub p of 15K I would *most* (not absolutely though) likely not recommend that you use a plate choke and instead might recommend a plate resistive load instead.

third thought.... the whole issue of shunt capacitance also applies to any transformer that carries an audio signal through it...

push pull output transformers will have shunt capactances across the primary...

single ended output transforemrs will have these same capacities...

so... why the focus on shunt capacitance (in seeming isolation) of a
plate choke or a grid choke?

In most real world apps... shunt capacitance is only one of dozens of parameters and quantities that must be taken into account in achieving a good design...

whenever the focus of any discussion on the merits or demerits of a design boils down to ONE parameter... it's bound to lead to mischief...

the trick in design is not to aim at or focus on optimizing any single parameter... whether it be minimizing shunt capacitance, maximizing inductance, minimizing DCR, or minimizing flux density level, or etc...

good designs are designs that pay attention to a whole range of factors or considerations that go into a design and optimizing for the "whole" of the device and not just any single paramter...

as an addendum to this post I will put up a link to a post written by voltsec which I think you may enjoy reading.

cheers,

msl

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31565 is a reply to message #31518] Sun, 04 December 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Damir:

I've been thinking about the topic being discussed and the interest in this phenomenon... well... here are several thoughts on the subject...

first thought... we should separate out anode (plate) chokes from grid chokes. As they perform different functions and are used and spec'd differently. the plate choke must ordinarily be designed to accomadate unbal dc plate currents and thus generally requires an air gap. A "grid choke" typically is used with a dc blocking condensor and is designed as an "ac only" device. The magnitude of L that you want from each may also be quite different.

second thought....

:::300pF in parallel with 80pF input capacitance of 300B is 380pF. And with high impedance driver (cascode, pentode, high rp tubes common cathode...), say Rout~15kOhms, we have f-3= 1/(2*3,141*15000*380*10^-12) = 27,9 kHz , limited frequency response of the driver.:::

this is with a very high impedance tube... and generally when you want to drive a 300B grid your going to use a tube with a much, much lower internal plate resistance. Say anything btwn a low of 800 ohms to 5000 ohms or even 7000 ohms would be much more typical (I think)...

with a low impedance driver and a high shunt capcitance the -3db cutoff frequency would then still be much greater than 27.9khz.

as with all devices and circuits... the designer must optimize his/her circuit and use a topology that makes sense and produces good results.

For example... it is much tougher to build a plate choke for a tube with an r sub p of 15K... and generally these tubes are operated at much less plate current.... so they are not even generally spec'd or used to drive the grids of triodes which do have higher internal capacitances... so with triodes most designers aim at using a tube with much lower r sub p and perhaps greater bias currents.

if your going to use a tube with an r sub p of 15K I would *most* (not absolutely though) likely not recommend that you use a plate choke and instead might recommend a plate resistive load instead.

third thought.... the whole issue of shunt capacitance also applies to any transformer that carries an audio signal through it...

In most real world apps... shunt capacitance is only one of dozens of parameters and quantities that must be taken into account in achieving a good design...

whenever the focus of any discussion on the merits or demerits of a design boils down to ONE parameter... it's bound to lead to mischief...

the trick in design is not to aim at or focus on optimizing any single parameter... whether it be minimizing shunt capacitance, maximizing inductance, minimizing DCR, or minimizing flux density level, or etc...

good designs are designs that pay attention to a whole range of factors or considerations that go into a design and optimizing for the "whole" of the device and not just any single paramter...

as an addendum to this post I will put up a link to a post written by voltsec which I think you may enjoy reading.

cheers,

msl

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31566 is a reply to message #31518] Sun, 04 December 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Damir:

second thought....

cheers,

msl

One more thing... [message #31573 is a reply to message #31562] Tue, 06 December 2005 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
what happens when the L is not constant, but increasing with signal like a gappless, butt-stacked core device would behave.

gapping the core will tame the increasing L among other things. makes for more turns>>more Cw( same general geometry ) to get the same L at some small signal.

More importantly, what does gapped L sound like compared to not-gapped L?

Re: One more thing... [message #31574 is a reply to message #31573] Tue, 06 December 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Good point, the grid chokes I ordered (1700H), have max. Idc=15mA specification. I hope that I`ll get them soon, will post a impressions.
Can you give us more about gapped vs not-gapped sound?

gapping zeroe DC inductors [message #31575 is a reply to message #31574] Wed, 07 December 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
For all the PP amps I have experimented with, the gapped choke sounded better. Even when the overall reduction in inductance was starting to make itself known.

The measurements from the non-gapped device showed a dramatic increase in L with increasing signal. It makes sense to me that this would not be a good thing.

I'm sure the 'White Paper' writers and supporters will have something silly to say about gapping inductors with no DC in their use profile...:) I got the C-core ones made so I can experiment and those measurements I'll share, including how they sound. These I got wound so as to maximize leakage L, and minimize end-to-end capacitance. I will include some comarisons to other available grid chokes for Cw. To hell with the idea of not publishing that info...:)
cheers,
Douglas

oscillation [message #31582 is a reply to message #31563] Wed, 07 December 2005 16:31 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Keep one thing in mind, oscillation is *NOT* a class A affair. It runs to extremes, usually to grid current...

If you have the grid of any stage running to positive values, the sonics are going to suffer for some non-zero recovery period. This period will be longer than the one oscillation, and is one mechanism by which a 22 MHz oscillation can make itself known.

I tried a high gm cascode and found it singing along with 20V peak-peak of 22 MHz oscillation. Resistive dampers cured it, and the circuit souded better. No easy way to be sure you've got things under control save to measure carefully.
cheers,
Douglas

and speaking of high gm, how 'bout a 100,000 mA/V device?

Previous Topic: Merlin Iron connection
Next Topic: Resistor choices for SV811 project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:27:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout