Home » Audio » Group Build » Dual bobbin choke as L's in LCLC supply?
Dual bobbin choke as L's in LCLC supply? [message #31492] Sat, 26 November 2005 13:15 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Is it possible to use a dual bobbin choke like the Ludahl 1638 as two seperate choke in an LCLC power supply?

If so, would there be any problems with mutual magnetic induction or excessive fields between these chokes since they are on the same core?

There are not to many low DCR chokes available, but what is available is fairly expensive.

Any input will be appreciated

Norris Wilson

Re: Dual bobbin choke as L's in LCLC supply? [message #31493 is a reply to message #31492] Sat, 26 November 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think that you'd have to run them as the same choke. Coil 1 would have a fair AC voltage across it. The coil 2 would be treated as a secondary, and have the same AC across it. Caps would make things a bit more complicated, but for 2 chokes, you'll need two cores.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Dual bobbin choke as L's in LCLC supply? [message #31494 is a reply to message #31493] Sat, 26 November 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Douglas,
Could this same dual bobbin choke be used parallel on the positive and negative rail of LCLC power supply in a differential configuration?
If so, what would be the benifits, if any?
Norris WIlson

Re: Dual bobbin choke as L's in LCLC supply? [message #31495 is a reply to message #31494] Sat, 26 November 2005 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I can't think of any benefit. The same current going through both windigs in what would effectively be a series connection( If I understand your description).

I would rather not complicate things unless there were a good reason( think Bob Carver; just as complicated as is required and not one bit more ).

I have seen good results with the big Hammond. 10 Hy at 500 mA as the first in a L-C filter. Putting a smaller choke in series will offer better high frequency filtering in general. The smaller choke will have lower shunt capacitance, or can be made so, or perhaps made with a good electrostatic shield( to capacitively bleed to ground instead of end-to-end).

I need two chokes to deliver `~350 mA of DC with up to 800vac input. That is no small choke, and I will probably get a well shielded one made to put in series. No HF getting through this one!
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Dual bobbin choke as L's in LCLC supply? [message #31496 is a reply to message #31495] Sun, 27 November 2005 02:36 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Did you see this solution - six chambers choke by "AE-Europe" (Netherlands) company?

Previous Topic: Music
Next Topic: Hey Colin, How's the amp come along?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:44:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio