Home » Audio » General » The Hardest Thing To Learn
Re: What's a Clicktrack? [message #3589 is a reply to message #3588] Sat, 26 August 2006 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'd venture to say almost all music is recorded without natural "ambience" anymore. Most are direct to the board, or the speaker cabs are mic'd close enough you don't get a lot of the room in the recording anyway. I'm sure many would disagree with me, but most recordings anymore are processed and compressed to within an inch of their life.

You gotta' figure.... [message #3590 is a reply to message #3588] Sat, 26 August 2006 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
that the best you're gonna' do is a direct-to-disk recording - so at the absolute minimum you have 1 mike (that can't possibly capture a symphony) the mike amp, and the cutter head amp. So now you have the "perfect recording" except that every mike sounds different and so does every mike amp.

But you can't have that recording, you get the one made from a stamper in some sort of material (like vinyl) that won't take the exact shape of the stamper, and in any case doesn't have anything like the dynamic range necessary. Then you run a needle through it that (to a very high degree of probability) isn't half as precise as the cutter, run up a millivolt or two through at least one equalizer (RIAA) and three stages of amplification (mV, line level, and amplifier). That signal travels through a couple of hundered discrete components (if you're lucky) of some clutch of ASICs to become a useful voltage signal.

Only now does the sound (really some simulation of the sound) in front of that unknown mike make it to the mike's analogue, the speaker. But the speaker isn't really the mike's analogue because instead of a single capsule it has at least (to a very high degree of probability) two drivers on each of two sides so the corespondence is one mike capsule = 4 dynamic drivers (and another bunch of signal transformng LCR components at a minimum or a bunch of A/D - processing - D/A ASICs again.

OOOOhhh how I love those Black Gate capacitors - they really let you hear how weathered and dry the the poor piccolo player's hands were last winter.

Re: You gotta' figure.... [message #3591 is a reply to message #3590] Sun, 27 August 2006 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
After reading this I have to question exactly how does this whole stereo thing make any difference after all? Is it like some quantum expression of uncertainty?
Funny how these threads morph into things entirely of their own volition. Thats why I like them.

And you really need to use time-aligned speakers too [message #3592 is a reply to message #3591] Sun, 27 August 2006 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: And you really need to use time-aligned speakers too [message #3593 is a reply to message #3592] Sun, 27 August 2006 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Time alignment is essential in speakers for accurate sound. I can achieve this with Pi speakers by tilting my head back at a 60 degree angle when I listen.

Re: You're gonna wind up like the deranged physicist [message #3594 is a reply to message #3590] Sun, 27 August 2006 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
catatonic in the corner 'cause he feared falling through the spaces between atomic particles.

I have my Reference Recordings of Scheherezade and Harry James, several RCA Shaded Dogs produced by Wilkerson, some Mercury's like the Rach 3 and especially Columbia's and telarcs of the Cleveland where I know the sound of the hall in which they were recorded..

These are all I refer to when listening really critically for the effects of hardware on the music. No worries about studios.

All we can ask of "pop" recordings is hearing the bass line or whether the lyrics are obscured in the playback or swallowed whole by the singer.

I'm knocked out by listening to the 3 way line-up I have right now of Marantz 2215B, the pair of Dignity Audio 300B's and the Jolida 202A that are stacked on top and next to each other so I just switch a few wires and there you are.
Plus I can go back and forth between ultra-complex 4-way monster speakers and little sealed 2-way with first order crossovers.

Hey, It's FUN!

Re: You're gonna wind up like the deranged physicist [message #3595 is a reply to message #3594] Sun, 27 August 2006 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats all we can ask of life; to have a little fun. I find it funny when people take themselves too seriously; like the majority of people in the audio trade.
The Harry James is recorded too hot; but don't take me seriously on that. The classical stuff I refer to your judgement. And the studious attention to detail in detecting differences I refer to Charlies post.
It's all a lark; wot?

Digital recordings, perfect sound forever???? [message #3596 is a reply to message #3589] Sun, 27 August 2006 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Nothing is perfect, so here I am still chasing my tail.
But, as long as I am having fun, what can it hurt.

Re: Digital recordings, perfect sound forever???? [message #3597 is a reply to message #3596] Mon, 28 August 2006 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
As long as we don't leave a trail of neglected children and angry wives full of bitterness and regret; I'd say it's o'kay. Unlike Golf as a hobby. Or deep sea fishing.
"Mom who's that strange guy in the house?"

Re: And you really need to use time-aligned speakers too [message #3598 is a reply to message #3593] Mon, 28 August 2006 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Sherwood SEL 400 volume potentiometer
Next Topic: GPAC Meeting September 9th
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:05:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers