Home » Audio » Group Build » here's a crazy idea....
here's a crazy idea.... [message #31367] Thu, 15 September 2005 20:16 Go to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
why doesn't the group build forum at ART look at and evaluate the Williamson design which is in the public domain. By memory, it might prove to be suitable for the apps that the group has shown some interest in.

Advantages are... it's in the public domain... so no hassles from anyone. Since the design is in the public domain it is easily portable... meaning that company A could make it for you this time.... and if their price went up or they did not want to make it again... you have the design in your hip pocket and can seek out an alternate builder.

And it could become an ART exclusive... not to make money... but to get folks interested in the board and participating.

tell me what you think...

and... before someone asks... I think this design was published in one of the early (1948-49) radio electronics magazine or craftsman or something like that... also... the book published by Audio Amatuer on DTN williamson has the design in it if I recall right. And I even vaguely remember seeing it on the web somewhere....

a good investigator is needed.

Mike

Re: here's a crazy idea.... [message #31369 is a reply to message #31367] Fri, 16 September 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think that a Williamson group build is an excellent idea. Seems like we kicked it around once, but went down a (couple) different roads instead. Might look at it again soon.

Re: here's a crazy idea.... [message #31373 is a reply to message #31369] Fri, 16 September 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Hi Wayne:

what I was suggesting was that perhaps the forum might want to look at the Williamson transformer design that is in the public domain. To my recollection it is a 10K pp primary with all of the appropiate secondary taps.

This design could be built with taps at differing points on the primary to make it useful for the Merlin amp.

And it could, as perhaps you suggest, also be useful in a "true" Williamson style amp. And a Triode PP amp. And the uses are manifold.

what I was trying to say is that... since it is a public domain design.... all of the details could be posted without stepping on anyone's toes....

with such information freely available.... folks could get together for a group buy or alternately go it alone and get a pair made on their own.

the beauty of the proposal (in addition to it being, actually, a pretty decent output trans design) is that now no one has to pirate the property of any other forum member to get a device useful for the implementation of their forum derived amplifier plans.

And of course it might then also encourage more circuit design activity as well as, in the public domain, refining the public domain transformer design to yield even better performance.

MSL

Re: here's a crazy idea.... [message #31375 is a reply to message #31373] Fri, 16 September 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, Williamson looks interesting.

See my other response in the Dungeon called "Design ownership, public domain and who owns what". Also wrote a post called "Trademarks and search engines". This stuff is important to me and I was on a roll.

cool, please stay around to help... [message #31378 is a reply to message #31367] Fri, 16 September 2005 18:37 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
you make an excellent researcher, please let us know what you find.

Of particular interest would be instructions which are *NOT* included in the publications surrounding the construction details for the OPTx. Techniques surrounding the actual winding.

It is one thing to say, "lay down __-layers of bifilar 19 ga wire in the first layer".

It is quite another to explain some of the pitfalls one would encounter whilst actually winding the coil.
cheers,
Douglas

cool, please stay around to help... [message #31379 is a reply to message #31367] Fri, 16 September 2005 18:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Of particular interest would be instructions which are *NOT* included in the publications surrounding the construction details for the OPTx. Techniques surrounding the actual winding.

It is one thing to say, "lay down __-layers of bifilar 19 ga wire in the first layer".

It is quite another to explain some of the pitfalls one would encounter whilst actually winding the coil.
cheers,
Douglas

cool, please stay around to help... [message #31380 is a reply to message #31367] Fri, 16 September 2005 18:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

cheers,
Douglas

cool, please stay around to help... [message #31381 is a reply to message #31367] Fri, 16 September 2005 18:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

cheers,
Douglas

cool, please stay around to help... [message #31382 is a reply to message #31367] Fri, 16 September 2005 18:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

cheers,
Douglas

cool, please stay around to help... [message #31383 is a reply to message #31367] Fri, 16 September 2005 18:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Re: in additon to other concerns.....
Next Topic: Winding Solutions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:45:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout