Home » Audio » Group Build » Grounded grid
Grounded grid [message #31287] Sun, 04 September 2005 09:41 Go to next message
Thrint is currently offline  Thrint
Baron
Hey-Hey!!!,
I have been considering a cathode drive power stage for the next amp. Seems a bit foolish to jump into a project well up the power ladder. So, this leaves the starting point of the linestage. Just to start with, PS parts are a bit easier to carry( let alone purchase ).

Input Z of the grounded grid's cathode is Plate Z over mu+1. This is not typically a large value. For the 12B4, a plate Z of 1k5 at a reasonable OP is leaving a cathode Z of ~230R. It is a reasonable place to start.

A pentode's cathode Z is 1/gm, and with a high gm example( 36 mA/V ), a 30R value is the result. This gets near the 1:10 ratio output Z to load...

The pentode's g2 can be done with a simple dropping R and bypass C. Good quality C is likely to be worth paying for. A 1-2 uF and 30k should do quite well.

Using a triode as the CF/input stage also provides a means to adjust gain. Put a plate resistor in of equal value to the amplifier plate load, and gain gets cut by half( looks like a phase splitter, NO? ).

Cathode load can be a CCS, or resistor to ground( going to be small ) or to a negative rail. Going to ground will put a small resistor in parallel with the cathode load, and this will make the load appliedto the CF a whole lot bigger( maybe it will contribute to sound in a positive way? ). The negative rail will make that part of the load large in comparison to the cathode of the amplifier.

I am going to build *Something* new quite soon, just a matter of what....
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Grounded grid [message #31288 is a reply to message #31287] Mon, 05 September 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi, Doug - although I think that I follow you enough, one hand-drawn schematic hosted by "Image Shack" would be of great help!

man.... [message #31289 is a reply to message #31288] Mon, 05 September 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thrint is currently offline  Thrint
Baron
still no imaging scanner. Must get one of those for sure. Make things a lot easier...

I will see what I can do.
cheers.
Douglas

Re: man.... [message #31291 is a reply to message #31289] Mon, 05 September 2005 23:46 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don`t have one also
But, I simply use digital camera in "macro" mode, shoot the schematic from close distance (good light is necesarry), add brightness and contrast, reduce the photo and host it by "Image Shack"... Pretty easy:-)

Previous Topic: Aikido linestage
Next Topic: Aikido Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:30:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout