Home » Audio » Group Build » The DRD update
The DRD update [message #31272] Sun, 21 August 2005 20:47 Go to next message
2wo is currently offline  2wo
Baron
So
A while back I promised to document the adventures of building a DRD amp. I posted a pic of the breadboard, then not much else.
Well it is summer, and I have been working a lot.
And I am lazy.

But no, it wasn’t all sloth. Here is were it’s at , it’s going slow, but for good reasons not so much problems.

I went through a long period of parts collecting selecting, mostly looking for the perfect off the shelf power transformer.

I think I found it.

Plus this is not a new circuit. It was designed by Jack Elliano of ElectricPrint fame and very well executed by Ron Wellborn. If you want one (and you do) and you are not as stubborn DIY kind of guy as me. Buy his kit, might even save some money.

With that said, Jack uses his own very high voltage power transformers, Ron has his own thoughts of what B+ should be.
So what’s left? I wanted to do this with a power transformer that did not need to be ordered or "custom" made.
About the same time a pair of 45’s fell into my lap. (well not fell, but a lowish bid unexpectedly won)

This had started out as a 300b project, but why not design one amp that could run a 45, 2a3 or 300b. or any other output you think you can stuff in.

Now we are getting somewhere, DIY wise. If we use a driver that can run a 300b, it can most likely run a 45 or 2a3 or… with ease.

If you have a power transformer that you could set for various B+ Voltages. That would be good.
If you could set different filament voltage that would be better.:)

All that’s left is choosing an output transformer that has the proper primary taps.

Re: The DRD update [message #31273 is a reply to message #31272] Sun, 21 August 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2wo is currently offline  2wo
Baron
BTW 2wo and Forty2wo are one and the same. Me
When I posted this Microsoft in its infinet wisdom decided who I was
fortytwo at AA is someone else...John

Re: The DRD update [message #31274 is a reply to message #31272] Mon, 22 August 2005 11:27 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, I lost the interest too... too lazy to solder. I think that Thorsten (DIY Asylum) posted schematics and pictures of his "universal" amp...
Anyway, enough is enough - too long without any concrete post here...

Previous Topic: Dear Manualblock
Next Topic: 300B project, part 3 - PS model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:41:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout