Home » Audio » Group Build » Chassis done (pic)
Chassis done (pic) [message #31247] Tue, 12 July 2005 20:58 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Got the chassis glued together. Just need to punch some holes. The bases are 40" from the end of one to the end of the next. I don't even want to know how much these are going to weigh.....Colin

Re: Chassis done (pic) [message #31248 is a reply to message #31247] Tue, 12 July 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those really look awesome, Colin. Good work!

Re: Chassis done (pic) [message #31249 is a reply to message #31248] Wed, 13 July 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excellent work.

Skirts [message #31250 is a reply to message #31247] Thu, 14 July 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very nice Colin. Question on contruction. Did you add the skirts after the main frame was assembled. Or did you glue the skirt and frame together first before making the mitre cut?

Can we see the bracing under the chassis?

Re: Skirts [message #31252 is a reply to message #31250] Sun, 17 July 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Sorry it took me so long to post. I was wanting to have more done, but......

Anyway, the box is made from wood baseboard, which was simply mitered and glued. The copper top will rest on 3/4" MDF. The holes for the copper top are drilled to size, and the corresponding holes in the MDF will be drilled out much larger for more working room. The copper and MDF will be glued together and will rest on supports that are glued to the inside of the box.......Colin

Re: Skirts [message #31255 is a reply to message #31252] Tue, 19 July 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm so glad to see someone using molding for chassis. There's a lot of very nice stuff available and can be built up for some very elegant results. A few places in town even stock their molding in a variety of hardwood such as oak, cherry, maple, ash, mahogany, etc. I always found the molding was too thin to use on their own but you seem to have solved that with the MDF bracing.

Re: Skirts [message #31256 is a reply to message #31255] Tue, 19 July 2005 11:04 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
There is a store here in Cincinnati that specializes in buying wholesale lots of building supplies. This particular moldomg is one of their specails. We got it for aound $0.40/foot. The wife and I have replaced all the toe-kicks (kitchen and bathroom) with it. It stains up nicley, except it is finger-jointed, but for the price

Everytime my wife goes to this store, I know it's going to be a week's worth of work, if not more, for me. We're just about to run out of places to put crown molding. Now "we" are starting on two and three piece crown. Hey, but for about a tenth of the price the major home improvement stores charge, it's pretty damn cost effective.......Colin

Previous Topic: Wrong link on "Ecstacy Space Charge Amp Schematic"
Next Topic: The DRD 45 breadboard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:10:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout