Home » Audio » Group Build » Doug
Doug [message #31149] Sun, 05 June 2005 17:34 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Douglass; I see you and a lot of the other posters on the Joe list looking to re-create older transformers by reverse engineering. Why not use the better examples of the more current transformers; why is there a need to do this copying? Thanks, I am really curious about this.
Also can we have an update on your current amp project?

well [message #31150 is a reply to message #31149] Sun, 05 June 2005 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
who is this 'alot of other folks' on the Joe List?

The copying and modifying I undertook served my project well. If I knew of a better current design, I'd be taking one of them apart or custom spec-ing what I need from them. things like paying in advance, waiting period measured in years, or large fractions there-of all work against that sort of material sourcing.

Also, it allows me to see just how the actual parctice is different from what the theroist texts say. This is one of the more interesting aspects. Almost enough to justify taking them apart in and of itself.
regards,
Douglas

Re: well [message #31151 is a reply to message #31150] Sun, 05 June 2005 19:39 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I saw three or four guys looking at Thorardson's and a couple UTC's so took it as a trend. But my point in asking was whether there is some other benefit that maybe makes those examples a better fit for some designs than what you could obtain from current pieces.
I see; the theory aspect, that explains it.
Thanks, J.R.

Previous Topic: Power transformer for DRD amp
Next Topic: Multiple caps vs. single cap?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:39:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio