Home » Audio » General » Ok, here are my thoughts on Peter Aczel and the Audio Critic Mag.
Re: Yeah, it's name calling [message #3554 is a reply to message #3549] Tue, 22 August 2006 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Aczel doesn't post here and in his magazine he's been known to use the same pejoritive language. Should we hold Damir to a higher standard than Aczel? Last I looked Damir was never disengenous in print; but Aczel has been. I say you lay down with dogs you wake up with fleas. He deserves the same treatment he has accorded his readers; insults; lies and mis-representation of fact. Damir had the guts to point that out in the same manner Aczel uses.
Maybe we should be wondering at the extreme level of defensiveness surrounding this guy from ART readers; Could there be some agenda we aren't privy to here? What else could explain such vituperative response in defense of him?
Damir is an honest long time ART participant; Aczel is niether.

Because it gets old. [message #3556 is a reply to message #3554] Tue, 22 August 2006 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't usually speak up in these situations, but I'm gonna say a little piece then shut the hell up cause this is starting to remind me of the BS that goes on at AA.

Bashing of anyone gets real old, real quick. I really don't give a flip what this guy's done. Somehow I'm doubting his influence has caused much serious damage in the world. He sure hasn't affected me, cuz I never heard of him till this week. People seem to be way to tied up in "he said, she said" or whatever. If you can hear or think you can hear differences in cables, then good for you. I can tell the difference between my RS junkers and my Zu's. The first minute was the deciding factor. If I can't hear something right away then it isn't there for me as far as I'm concerned. If something someone else does or says works for you, good deal. If it doesn't, then you agree to disagree and move on.

If people have a problem with someone, especially the way they present themselves, then it seems to me that it's better not to respond in the same manner as the person that's getting complained about. Guts has nothing to do with stating an opinion most of the time. I know people that give thier opinion without any regard to what they said at all. To each thier own I guess. Sometimes people are just having a bad day.

Let me clarify that I have absolutely nothing against Damir or anyone else that doesn't like Aczel. Damir has always been a moderate person as far as I can tell, and he has always answered my stupid newbie tube questions with a clarity and patience that I am most grateful for, and he has more knowledge about audio than I'll probably ever have. So has Manualblock, and Akhilesh, and Bill, and Wayne, etc.......Everyone has always been helpful to me without exception.

Seems like when everyone has said their opinion and maybe explained why they believe what they do, it's time to let it die before the arguments begin. Petty bickering is completely non-productive and life is entirely too short for such nonsense IMHO.

My grandma always said to speak your piece, but not if you don't have something decent to say. You can disagree without being rude, mean, or spiteful.

Ok, I'm done.

Re: Another consideration [message #3558 is a reply to message #3551] Tue, 22 August 2006 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree, 100%. Damir is a stand-up guy. He explained himself pretty well, I thought. Kinda funny too - The distinction between "complete idiot" and "incomplete idiot". Perhaps "person with foot in mouth disease" might have been more what Damir wanted to say about Aczel. I know I appear that way about half the time, so Damir could rightly say the same thing about me. But I would expect a moderator to delete that, you know.

Re: Yeah, it's name calling [message #3559 is a reply to message #3554] Tue, 22 August 2006 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We hold ourselves to a higher standard here on ART. Whether people insult each other elsewhere or not, we don't do that here. Ideas can be discussed, scrutinized and even attacked. But people can't be personally insulted or attacked, not even by inference. Not here.

Re: Because it gets old. [message #3560 is a reply to message #3556] Tue, 22 August 2006 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That is one of the things that drove ART into existance. If you allow personal ad-hominem attacks, then the person being attacked is tempted to respond in kind. Sure, you can be a "bigger person" and take it without striking back, but what if it's your wife or kids being insulted? No point in looking at all the possibilities of errant behavior. It doesn't take much to realize that civility ends where insults begin.

As an aside, it always busted me up to see nerds on internet messageboards talking about being "big enough to take an insult" - Like that is some sort of tough guy stance.

Re: Because it gets old. [message #3562 is a reply to message #3560] Tue, 22 August 2006 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's the reason I post here on ART! I might peruse AA looking for some info about some sort of DIY design or something, but I"ve only posted there 3-4 times over the years, usually just to ask a question that I can later verify the answer to.

"It doesn't take much to realize that civility ends where insults begin. "----Agreed!

Re: Because it gets old. [message #3565 is a reply to message #3560] Wed, 23 August 2006 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats right; everybody is a tough guy when you can't see them.

Re: Maybe some posts here should be MODERATED [message #3566 is a reply to message #3553] Wed, 23 August 2006 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have to remmember this guy used to be more open to new ideas in his first magazine. Because there was so much competition at that time in the magazine industry he did a complete turnaround and became the complete opposite in order to generate controversy. That was one of the gripes people had with him even before he mis-represented his speakers. He behaved like a real politition.

Re: Something happened in the world while I was asleep [message #3571 is a reply to message #3552] Wed, 23 August 2006 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'd say about the same time laywers starting advertising on billboards, TV and telphone books...

Re: Ok, here are my thoughts on Peter Aczel and the Audio Critic Mag. [message #3580 is a reply to message #3544] Fri, 25 August 2006 14:31 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
True True. Especially since there aren't many in this world who are impressed by stereo's anyway. Unless they are in waterfront homes on Marco Island; or in a Lambourghini Countach.

Previous Topic: Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX
Next Topic: Sherwood SEL 400 volume potentiometer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 15:50:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout