Home » Audio » Group Build » Little amp
Little amp [message #31106] Tue, 24 May 2005 18:28 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here is a neat little one: E-Linear 6V6's.

Iron:
Dynaco Z565 or modern copies for the OPTx
Dynaco St.70 power Iron, probably best to get a modern improved version.
One 10Hy power inductor for the L-C power supply. 500 mA unit from Hammond will be adequate.

Cascode 6BQ7 or 6BK7B for a diff amp cascode front like Merlin
100 uF/370vac cap like spec-ed for Guinevere for the PS cap.

It will probably be good for ~12 W or so. Probably just out of Class A bias, but that's OK. B+ will be ~300.

If somebody wants to build this, I'll loan a pair of the Z565's. Email me.
regards,
Douglas

Praise the Lord, and pass the 813's!

Re: Little amp [message #31107 is a reply to message #31106] Tue, 24 May 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I already have a set of Handmade iron exactly as you describe that I bought years ago for my old ST 70; as well as most of the rest of the parts. Lead the way I would be interested in participating with whomever chooses to build. Will you stay with it if possible and where is the schematic? BTW; I have begun dismantling the Guinevere with the intention of rebuilding into the new chassis. I have decided this is the pre-amp for me. I have heard nothing better. Right now I'm searching for a better volume pot and some better quality connectors and RCA's.

Re: Little amp [message #31108 is a reply to message #31106] Tue, 24 May 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Can you post a schematic or email one? Will this amp use CCS? I should be have my A7s tomorrow and then I'll be good to go.....Colin

Re: Little amp [message #31109 is a reply to message #31108] Wed, 25 May 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The schematic will look a lot like( nearly the same as ) Merlin, but with some component value adjustments. Probably require a 2 sq foot top plate to do comfortably and w/o crowding.

The front end is the big trouble with that design, it requires two CCS per channel. They are not too difficult. one uses the TO92 cased LND150 and can be built on ~2 cm^2 with two resistors and two mosfets.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Little amp [message #31110 is a reply to message #31107] Wed, 25 May 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The schematic is very similar to Merlin. No grid choke required. I should probably re-draw and mail the paper to Wayne for digitizig and posting.

You might want to hold off with the Guinevere rebuild as 12B4 amplifier valves are a worthy experiment requiring a second socket and a bit of re-wire only.

Yes I'd support any and all questions on the 6V6 amp build.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Little amp [message #31111 is a reply to message #31110] Wed, 25 May 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'Kay; hold off it is. But out of curiosity why after all this time of speculating about large high voltage triodes do you settle on trying this particular circuit? Did you hear one you really liked? Or is this a way of getting something started?
I for one have always been tentative around the CCS only because if the transistor should fail the amp is in big trouble. And transistors fail around high heat conditions; no? Also since they require bias that potential for drift is constant right.
Anyway I am enthused about building this or something now; maybe Damir can take this ride with us also. And Colin.
I would like to see a group purchase of chassis. I am not a big fan of top mounted input and speaker jacks. There are some new chassis companies out there so the price is easing up a bit. But there must be a company like Heybeor that does this chassis work. Or maybe some metal work place would bend up some sheet stock.

Re: Little amp [message #31112 is a reply to message #31111] Wed, 25 May 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
well...the CCS are all self bias, as this is a characteristic of the depletion mode MOSFETS. Their drift performance has not caused me any troubles as of yet.

Smaller is easier, save for the complexity of the special E-Linear cascode Circuit I feel is the best approach to this particular design.

I think I rather moderate voltage pentodes to triodes. Not much sport involved with triode finals in many of the aspects I find interesting. I am still going to do the 4E27 amp. Soon enough I'll be paid enough to afford it.

I am not 'UP' on chassis construction companies. I am going to buy a drillpress for my shop...
regards,
Douglas

Re: Little amp [message #31113 is a reply to message #31112] Wed, 25 May 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So where does that leave the 6V6?

right where it belongs... [message #31114 is a reply to message #31113] Wed, 25 May 2005 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
THe 6V6 option offers a lighter PS option. ~35 mA/valve of idle current. With 6-10 mA allowed for the front end, we'd be looking at consuming ~160 mA of 300VDC. No big deal for the St.70 power Iron.

It is just an option in case the DH stuff was looking a bit complex( and it is a bit more compared to IDH valves like the 6V6 ). The 6V6 also has a fairly light heater load.
regards,
Douglas

Re: right where it belongs... [message #31115 is a reply to message #31114] Wed, 25 May 2005 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Would the Guinevere power trans work at all with that amp? I know someone with a spare. He won't be having much spare time either, after building speakers bug hits.

Previous Topic: Interesting Aussie SE Design
Next Topic: DRD 300b set amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:43:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout