Home » Audio » Group Build » SE or PP?
SE or PP? [message #31049] Sun, 17 April 2005 07:47 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
For those of you planning to build an amp companion to Guinevere, is there any feelings regarding PP or SE topology? I have a feeling that E-Linear amp as described by Pete Millett is a fine choice for a SE topology.

It remains to be studied if another valve than the KT88 be used instead. EL34 comes to mind, and as a true 3-grid pentode, I think it will be a better performer. The input Pentode is another pont of substitution, or perhaps creating a pentode with the cascode.
regards,
Dougals

Re: SE or PP? [message #31050 is a reply to message #31049] Sun, 17 April 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like 'em both, and for different reasons. SET is easier to build, and with good large components, sounds very nice. PP is more complex, and requires matched components for best performance, but offers more power and less noise. So I guess I'm decidedly undecided. But I think I'm leaning towards SET because it's easier for a first time build.

Re: SE or PP? [message #31051 is a reply to message #31050] Sun, 17 April 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If I may, SE is a strange bird. Some circuits sound great others so-so others sound like crap-ola. And I think SE is very speaker dependent. PP has a definate advantage in terms of LF weight and body, good power, good freq extremes and working well with most speakers. I like some SE's but my vote would go to PP providing the buildup has adequate support on the forum. Save some cash on the transformers also. Even considering the extra phase splitter parts.
Should SE prevail I like Petes design. And I am sure there are some tweaks to be explored there. The only thing is Pete's amp uses different oil caps than Doug's. I already have the values from Guinevere so it would be great to be able to use them.
Either way it's good to see some activity again.
You know what would be nice. Scope readings and how to do them for these projects.

I'm with you [message #31052 is a reply to message #31051] Sun, 17 April 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
PP would be cool. I know Doug is busy, so maybe we could ask Damir for some help. Maybe he could do his magic on Doug's schematic......Colin

Re: I'm with you [message #31053 is a reply to message #31052] Sun, 17 April 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Unfortunately, I don`t have experience with this topology (E-linear, Hedge-style differential cascode driver + grid choke, etc.), nor I have the parts - Raa=10k OPTs, grid chokes, DHT output pentodes, etc.
This is entirely Dougs "territory" and I can`t help a lot.
But, IMO - we can have various projects here, SE or PP, whatever. It`s not "obligatorily" that we must build every one - I think that (in the future?) various people can present their projects.
Anyway, I plan to present my SE 300B project in more posts (probably stretch to several weeks/months/years, hehe). Some basic theory, experiments with various drivers, PS, then final build in the chasis, etc. Lot of work:-).

As always..... [message #31054 is a reply to message #31053] Sun, 17 April 2005 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
you are the voice of reason. You shoud have a package on its way to you. It's the extra DN2540s that were not used for the preamp. Is there anything else one of us could pick up for you for the 300B or other projects? Just our way of saying thanks.....Colin

Re: As always.....Ditto! [message #31055 is a reply to message #31054] Mon, 18 April 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nothing wrong with two top-notch designs going at the same time.

Re: As always..... [message #31056 is a reply to message #31054] Mon, 18 April 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey, thanks to you for the mosfets! And thanks to all for your support... I actually have (almost) all the parts, but some of them are "suboptimal" - some capacitors, and power transformer. As I said, I ordered custom PT ("ae-europe.nl"), but really don`t know when I can expect it - they are very "economical" in E-mail explanations/answers:-). However, better then "Amplimo" (I used their toroidal transformers before) - they never responded to my two E-mails where I ask for quotation for custom PT :-).
Anyway, I`m grateful for you offer, I`ll send you E-mail.

me too [message #31057 is a reply to message #31052] Mon, 18 April 2005 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
you know I hate this level of required activity. I shudder( sometimes ) to consider what full time work will be like again...

Sorry about the required complexity. It is not all that bad( POV dependant ). There's lots of bits, but I think the operation is still fairly simple. The grid choke can be done away with for IDH valves like 6L6's( and of course the DH factor as well ). to build this with 6L6GC, the Svetlana offering or the Groove tubes KT66 come to mind are quite aceptable simplifications.

Or 807's...and then leave room for filament and grid Iron and not have to get anode caps to run HY69's...

This would get rid of the filament complexities, and save the space equal to a Dynaco Z565 OPTs when dealing out the grid Iron.

I like PP for a few reasons, one being PS requirements. Single L-C filter is acceptable for this design. For the 6L6 amp, a re-issue of the Dynaco Mk.III power Iron from Triode Electronics or Hammond similar looks good. L-C filter to yeild low 300's of B+...

Or, if you're feeling ten feet tall and covered with Hair, just buiild from the ground up with a 1kV B+ and run 813's!
regards,
Douglas

Re: me too [message #31058 is a reply to message #31057] Tue, 19 April 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So Doug; you post a good summary of the amp with personal observations and clues to how it could be done... Then you wipe the slate and offer the concept that there is; in the 813, a real tube to deal with that promises so much more. I for one am in for the long haul; so whats it gonna be? Why not just do it once for the gipper?
You have tried them all so there's a leg up on all of us. Or does it really matter that much which triode you use?
Thanks J.R.

Previous Topic: New PCB for the CCS
Next Topic: line stage for VTV
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 09:52:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers