Home » Audio » Group Build » the $2 tweak
the $2 tweak [message #31028] Sun, 20 March 2005 13:47 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Thee should be no big suprise that a good PS is the heart of a good amp. I just got done putting some Russian Teflon caps in my amp and linestage. A single .056 uF/500B unit bypassing the main PS cap. It sounds better to me.

these things are available for ~$2 each from Gintaras of KWTubes on ebay. Like 6 for $12 plus shipping. So maybe it ought to be called the $3 tweak. Either way, these caps are nice enough I recomend getting a stash for your parts box. They are too useful not to have laying about, and they won't be around forever.

They are about the size of a third of a Hot-Dog, and are TFE sheet and Al foil...
regards,
Douglas

Another $2 tweak [message #31029 is a reply to message #31028] Sun, 20 March 2005 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm impressed with how much noise reduction is provided by adding 0.022uF capacitors across the rectifier diodes. The 8kHz switching artifact from 1N400x diodes is gone.

Re: Another $2 tweak [message #31030 is a reply to message #31029] Sun, 20 March 2005 19:37 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-hey!!!,
it's my opinion that if you're going to use SS diodes in a design that something has to be done about the switching noise. It can be done quite well, and if Schottky barrier types are used than the job gets an order of magnitude easier.

On designs which have some SS then a seperate TX is a step towards makings easier. A good Pi filter in the primary is usually enough IMO. Then I usually get carried away and go L-C on stuff like bias supplies( with Schottky diodes ).

the final call is that it is easier to make less noise in the first place, than to build a filter to deal with things afterwards.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Hey Doug
Next Topic: Another $2 tweak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:32:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers