Home » Audio » Group Build » Hey Doug
Hey Doug [message #31024] Sat, 19 March 2005 13:43 Go to next message
BrownEyes is currently offline  BrownEyes
Esquire
Awhile back I asked you if/when/how you used shielded wire as I had ordered something for work that looked to be promising for audio also. It's Belden 88760, a twisted pair of stranded, tinned, 18 gauge wires in all FEP insulation with a 300 volt RMS rating. I have now tried it in a few locations and am rather pleased with the results. Something you might wish to try. From speaker cables, to interconnects, to filament wiring, to B+ wiring it has worked well and brought audible improvments (I think)...girlfriend commented at one point so I guess it's true:). Maybe a bit bass light but rather good on the detail end and versatile with that voltage rating. Belden 89259 has also been good for me if you desire a coax. BTW I am not a cable freak but enjoy finding a good sounding multi-purpose part whatever it may be....kinda like motor run caps...good for lots of places! If you decide to try it let me know what you think. On the stiff side though so it's hard to dress.

Russ

been busy... [message #31027 is a reply to message #31024] Sun, 20 March 2005 11:25 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
with a few other things, mostly spring cleaning( I'd be done by now if I could afford the BobCat rental for use in the garage ).

I side-stepped the need for shielding with the new linestage by putting the inputs *VERY* close to the volume pot and amplifier valves. The output is low enough impedance it would take one heck of a lot of interrerence to make troubles.

I would like to get some of the 18 ga FEP-insulated stuff for use on the HF driver's. I have braided CAT5 (plenum rated TFE ), and Eichmann bullets so I don't see much reason to try others.

I have some small TFE coax which is great for making caps with, but the usual goal is makig them small, and this stuff is fairly high capacitance/length.

trying to find a way to liquidate some of my recent finds to fund further research. can't do this stuff easily without cubic $ I've found.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Iron counting
Next Topic: the $2 tweak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:56:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers