Home » Audio » Group Build » throw another preamp on the fire, boys!
throw another preamp on the fire, boys! [message #30959] Sun, 13 March 2005 19:03 Go to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Just kidding.
I got Gunievere pretty much sorted out.

First the major hum, while I was in there adding the grid stoppers I killed one of the CCS's. My guess is ESD. Thank you Colin for the spares!

Next; back were I started, hum that increases with volume them stops at max. After a bit of pokeing around I found that in my case, the body of the Radio Shzck pot needed to be grounded. Dispite the fact that can find no leakage even with my best meter. Go figure.

Now it is pretty quiet. There is still some hum with volume but considering the amount of gain and the fact I removed the sheilding troble shooting the pot, it will do untill I change to a lower gain tube...John

Re: throw another preamp on the fire, boys! [message #30960 is a reply to message #30959] Sun, 13 March 2005 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Glad to see you up again. Can I ask which tube you are looking at and if there are any circuit changes neccessary to utilise that tube?

Re: throw another preamp on the fire, boys! [message #30961 is a reply to message #30960] Sun, 13 March 2005 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I will probably go with the 12b4 as I have a pair. To run them in Guinevere you need a second socket is they are single triode's.
Add 1 or 2 more LED's to the string and crank up the current a bit, that's it.
I bet there are some folkes more familiar with the world of 9 pin tubes, that can recomend a low mu twin that you can pretty much pop right in...John

Grid stoppers [message #30963 is a reply to message #30959] Sun, 13 March 2005 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm glad to hear you tracked down the hum. I was hopeing this was the problem and not a poorly wound Tx. I'll ground my pot tonight.

I thought I had the issue of isolation between the chassis and signal ground resolved, but there is still continuity. I thought the volume pot was the culprit, since I could lift it off the chassis and get infinite reistance. I need to see if a wire strand is causing the problem.

I'm really surprised that ESD killed the 2540 that easily. Mine took a direct hit when checking voltages. Let's just say I about wet myself - didn't shock me, but did get my attention. Do you need a couple of 2540s as spares? I could drop a couple more in the mail if you would like.

Are you going to do the amps next. I'm really excited. This whole process has been much more than I could have imagined......Colin

lower mu... [message #30964 is a reply to message #30961] Mon, 14 March 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Nope, you have it. A few more LED's will be all. More current is a 'tweak' level of change. 6 or so LED's and another socket will be all that is required.

You'll be pulling a little bit more heater current. Still going to be 12.6, but at 0.6 A instead of 0.5 A. Some tweaking of the R's in filament supply might be needed if you want exactly 12.6. 12-13 ought to be fine IMO...

The 12B4's are mu 6.5 and until you increase heater current or get octal valves, it is the best. Maybe the best without caveats.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Grid stoppers [message #30971 is a reply to message #30963] Mon, 14 March 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Colin,
As to the hum. there is something funky about those pots. this is not the second of third time they have thrown a curve. I ended up tieing my chasse ground to signel ground. With my high tech chasse covered with space age teflon.the pot may or may have not had contact with the steel. the connection didn't increase the noise so I left it. try a clip lead and see.

ESD is probably what got the fets. with this cold dry air, zap.
the amp was unpluged for a full day PS down to 0 on its own. Fet's are sensitive this is one reason you see zener clamping diodes on some CCS circuts I would like to get another set. let me pay for them this time as you were kind enough to get them.

On the amp front I just converted my JE labs/ FI 300b to WE type 91 and I like it a lot. I have a DRD project in the pipeline. still colecting parts.
I am going to follow along and see. I have some 6a5's I want to use and I want to fool with a transformer phase spliter and parts on hand. But who knows, Dougles is a master of push pull amps and I want to see what kind of transformers are brewing...John

Re: Grid stoppers [message #30986 is a reply to message #30971] Tue, 15 March 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think you're right about those RS pots. I have all the noise ghosts gone, except when I touch the voulme pot. I expect this since it is not grounded, but I can put slight sideways pressure on the volume pot's shaft and get a considerable change in noise level. I really think I'm going with the dual 12B4 (?) rectifiers and a stepped attenuator. No need screwing around at this point.

I'll try and get another set on 2540s out to you this week. No need to pay. Your help has been more than enough. Thank you.

What is a DRD?

I'm really nervous about the amps. This preamp was my first serious build using only a schematic. I have more confidence in my abilities, but there is still a lifetime of techniques to learn. I can tell you one thing, I will NEVER build from a kit again. The high I got when Guinevere came to life was worth all the troubles.....Colin

Re: Grid stoppers [message #30991 is a reply to message #30986] Wed, 16 March 2005 16:20 Go to previous message
Master
Glad to hear you got the noise. Thanks for the 2540's I am happy to help if I can.

DRD is direct reactance drive, this is the type of amp taht Ron Welborne has. Look here http://www.electra-print.com/circuits.html...John

Previous Topic: Pics of Guinevere
Next Topic: pics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:04:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout