Home » Audio » Group Build » If this keeps up Il'l be watching TV
If this keeps up Il'l be watching TV [message #30953] Sat, 12 March 2005 18:32 Go to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Tough day on the eastern front.
I have been listening to Gunevere dispite the fact I have more noise then I should. so today I thought I would try to track it down. most of it is 120hz and I am geting that hum that riseis with volume but stops at max. Might be a little grid current flowing, I am not sure yet. so I thought before I drag out the scope. lets check the grounds and put some grid stoppers in. so I did.
Now I have a lot of hum.
As I have some new CDs I wanted to listen to I put the Nickel wonder back in. All was well for a while, then the music stopped. A quick look, no glow. Bummer I must have lost the filement supply.
Poped the top of the power supply, smoke, black acid dead transformer smoke.
Seams with all the shifting, the drain wire of the interconnect broke free and shorted the 6V. I swear that transformer was cursed.

But don't worry the fuse surived with out a scratch...John

Re: If this keeps up Il'l be watching TV [message #30954 is a reply to message #30953] Sat, 12 March 2005 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Yeah,

Some days you wonder why you even got out of bed!

Joe

I'm sorry to hear that [message #30955 is a reply to message #30953] Sat, 12 March 2005 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm so sorry to hear you toasted the Nickle Wonder Tx.

That's very intersting about the noise you describe. That's EXACTLY what I've been trying to track down: noise increases with volume until max and then quite. Did this nosie go away when you put the NW in? What do you think is going on?......Colin

Well... [message #30956 is a reply to message #30953] Sat, 12 March 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The sensitivity of the hum to the volume control narows things down significantly.

I hate to use the catch all, 'grounding issue' but check to make sure the stuff which should be isolated actually is, and that your signal grounds allmeet at the negative side of the volume pot. cathode return, negatives from the RCA jacks( input and output ). then take one connection to the capacitor's ground/negative lug.

And thenagain, there is always the silly unknown. I did somethig which appeared to be comletely unrelated to the linestage circuit and the hum I thought was ac filaments in my amp got remarkably quieter...
regards,
Dogulas

Re: I'm sorry to hear that [message #30957 is a reply to message #30955] Sun, 13 March 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Too much gain from the CCS?

Re: I'm sorry to hear that [message #30958 is a reply to message #30955] Sun, 13 March 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Colin, The Nickel Wonder, is a compleatly separate line stage. It uses the very same ground scheme and is dead quiet ( now it's just plain dead )
It's time to track this down in a systematic manner. I will let you know what I find...John

Re: If this keeps up Il'l be watching TV [message #30972 is a reply to message #30953] Tue, 15 March 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
do you think you'l have the Niclel wonder up and running in time for the Meet on 26 March? maybe tell Ray, you're bringing Guinevere instead...

Or is it still saveable? I do hope so, I want to hear it.

also, it looks like the BK16's will make an appearance. Those little guys Rock! can't wait to try them with my PP HY69 amp, not to mention the 2Pi's...
regards,
Douglas

Re: If this keeps up Il'l be watching TV [message #30974 is a reply to message #30972] Tue, 15 March 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That was the plan. I have orderd another xformer,,,John

Iron... [message #30976 is a reply to message #30974] Tue, 15 March 2005 10:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
or more specifically Fe-Ni...I went looking at those litle guys as a source for niclel lams for an DIY choke project. They are only half-inch tongue...so I went to magmetals and see that cobalt( high flux density ) and good nickel are available for 1". Now if I can get rid of some stuff, I'll get some new grid chokes wound. Movin' on up to 1kHy perhaps....

One more piece for the amp project. You guys OK with getting an extra-special bit of signal Iron made? It'll cost a bit more, but I have a feeling that it will be more than worth it...
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: ALPS at JBL Tent
Next Topic: Load lines 101
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:28:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers