Home » Audio » Group Build » progress
progress [message #30900] Wed, 09 March 2005 16:48 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'kay; rookie mistake on the blowing fuse saga. While I wrapped the ends of the secondaries two tiny threads were touching inside one wrap; shorted secondaries, wouldn't you know it. Thanks be to the powers that be the trans did not fry.
So now we have lift-off. Good tube voltages and power out voltages. Except I have 300V on B+; is that normal. Next up is hook-up. I have pics too; I'll post after you C-Man.
After troubleshooting this I can wire the PS in my sleep.
I would like to say there is a need for a directory; witness the 5V on the heaters we both thought was correct. Also nice to have the secondary voltages listed again.

Congrats [message #30901 is a reply to message #30900] Wed, 09 March 2005 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's the one reason I hate using stranded cable and not solid wire. It's always one of those little strands that winds up causing problems.

Please do not wait for me to post pictures. Fisrt, I need to learn the new camera amd second I need to post pictures, which I've never done.....Colin

Re: Congrats [message #30902 is a reply to message #30901] Wed, 09 March 2005 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Do you have a plan? Imagehost maybe? I tried that a while ago and even I was able to make it work painlessly. TTYL.

coooooool! [message #30903 is a reply to message #30900] Wed, 09 March 2005 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Your B+ reading is bothering me. I would rather is was a hundred V lower. I suspect one of two possibilities. One is that you have not drawn enough current to make the choke behave itself properly. The second is that you have some other HV than 250 hooked up.

L-C filtering of ~250 vac should yeild ~200VDC.

Both are easy to fix. One requires only a few twists of R3's screw...

BTW, the current measuring method Colin came up with is so nice to use. Confirm current in-circuit, and with the B+ on no less.

But how does it sound?
regards,
Douglas

COOL! [message #30907 is a reply to message #30900] Thu, 10 March 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Man, you guys are cooking with gas around here!

Re: coooooool! [message #30909 is a reply to message #30903] Thu, 10 March 2005 10:12 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Small weather related delay. My workspace isn't heated and it's 12 deg. Today should get some sound. Thanks T I will check the voltage readings again.

Previous Topic: Ground isolated from chassis - now it's an AM radio
Next Topic: Carbon comp vs carbon as grid stoppers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:41:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout