Home » Audio » Group Build » Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting [message #30884] Tue, 08 March 2005 16:52 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; here we go. Seems I am blowing fuses upon switching my unit on. I have gone over the trans and PS wireing and it all checks out and looks good. Can a shorted lead on the CCS cause a fuse out on power up?
The tranny is Blue/Red secondaries to the anodes of the 6CA4(250V)
Red/Yellow to chassis ground
Yellow 5v secondaries to the Filament heater pins of the rec tube
Cathode to the choke
Choke to PS cap +

The two primary black wires/ one to the AC input and the other to the switch
Then from the switch to the fuse to the AC input neutral return

What fuse are you using? [message #30885 is a reply to message #30884] Tue, 08 March 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What amp fuse are you using? Slow or fast blow?

I'm started with a 2A slow blow and it worked fine.

Are you blowing as soon as you switch on or is it when the rectifier heats up?......Colin

first to the fuse... [message #30886 is a reply to message #30884] Tue, 08 March 2005 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
this thing ought to be consuming about a half amp from the wall. However, there are going to be transients at switch-on which could easily exceed this amount. By a lot....

Slo-blo is the way to go. an amp or amp and a half should do quite adequately.

If you have a 500 mA fast fuse in there I am not suprised you're toasting them...
regards,
Douglas

one more thing... [message #30887 is a reply to message #30884] Tue, 08 March 2005 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
the 6CA4 is a 6.3 volt heater. Don't worry too much, I suspect you'll get a nice slow warm up and gentle application of HV. Check its cathodes colour compared to the 5687, you might want to put the 6.3 winding on it.
regards,
Dogulas

Chassis ground? [message #30895 is a reply to message #30884] Wed, 09 March 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Are you hooking the red/yellow (center tap) to the chassis or the the signal ground path (opposite side of cap on B+)? The CT (or any of the HV supply) should not be in contact with the chassis. Are you using a 3-point (hot/neutral/ground) electrical connection from the wall outlet?

I should have pictures of Guinevere up tonight. Amazing, FedEx actually found my house on the first try today and brought dad (OK, mom) a new toy ......Colin

Rectifier heater voltage [message #30896 is a reply to message #30887] Wed, 09 March 2005 12:23 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I used the 6V4 with the 5V tap. Turns out the 6V4 should be run off 6.3V. It works well with the 5V but I will up the voltage. Thanks for pointing this out. I should have paid more attention.....Colin

Previous Topic: Guinevere wired and ready.
Next Topic: Ground isolated from chassis - now it's an AM radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:56:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout