Home » Audio » Group Build » More amp design considerations
More amp design considerations [message #30796] Thu, 03 March 2005 15:11 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!!,
Been looking at another amp worthy of its construction effort.

For a pentode, the 6V6-ish 1619 is a good valve. I linked its sheet below. It has a few very useful properties for this project. One is its filament. It is a 2.5V/2A directly heated cathode. Very similar to the 2A3. Matter of fact, change the sockets from the 1619's Octal to 2A3 UX4 and you're off to the races.

Next, it can easily be supported by the Guinevere power iron on a mono-block basis. Since we're likely using a custom OPTx, it will be fairly easy to arrange a means to take full advantage of both types of final.

New production 2A3 is fairly easy to come by, and NOS 1619 is even less expensive. Both will yeild similar output power, at between 7 and 10 watts.

Any design specifics we need to include? It seems that this ought to be as flexible a project as is possible so that changes can be made as testing and tweaking require.
regards,
Douglas

1619 Data [message #30797 is a reply to message #30796] Thu, 03 March 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ok...I pressed 'post message' too soon.
here it is:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/049/1/1619.pdf

regards,
Douglas

Re: 1619 Data [message #30798 is a reply to message #30797] Thu, 03 March 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I like the 1619 myself; someone around here a while ago built Bob's 1619 SE amp and it had nice tone. Only one watt though.
What the heck is rendered snake oil? Is that some kind of mojo voodoo stuff? Should I get my black cat bone?

Oil [message #30799 is a reply to message #30798] Thu, 03 March 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
HEy-Hey!!!,
the snake oil remark is just another attempt at dry, sarcastic humor. How eose would one acquire snake oil legitamtely?

There are of course a whole column of folks with less than honest supplies of snake oil to sell.
regards,
Douglas

Re: More amp design considerations [message #30800 is a reply to message #30796] Thu, 03 March 2005 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Douglas,

I checkesd several web sites.

Antique Electronic supply has them for $9.60 ea.
Tube Depot for $13.95 ea.
Fair Radio Sales in Lima has them for $7.00 ea.

None of these listed any quantities on hand.

I like the idea of it being directly heated. Been interested since I saw Gary Pimm's 47 amp. If we used your E-Linear topology, what are we looking at as possable drivers?

Keep it com'in...

Joe

5687's... [message #30801 is a reply to message #30800] Thu, 03 March 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The beauty of this topology is its adaptability to power stage valves.

The front end should be a cascode diff amp. Two 5687's are a fine choice. They have low enough plate z to allow an Ec2 of ~70V, and gm for enough gain. Figure B+ of ~300, and plate loads of 25-30k.

Special voltage ref for Ec2 to the common cathodes instead of the traditional ground. Building a voltage reference is no biggie. Just assume it is as I say for the time being....
regards,
Douglas

Re: Oil [message #30802 is a reply to message #30799] Thu, 03 March 2005 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I know T; I'm just foolin' with you. After the Willie Dixon quote on one of your earlier posts I thought maybe you were a blues afficianado; hence the mojo reference.

Re: More amp design considerations [message #30805 is a reply to message #30796] Thu, 03 March 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have an idea. Wire both octal and UX4 sockets so you can plug in either tube type, 1619 or 2A3.

mmmmmm.... [message #30808 is a reply to message #30805] Fri, 04 March 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That's a bit much even for me to suggest. You'd also make some other circuit changes I suspect.

We could also do a KT88 monoblock. Full U-L or get more complex with a seperate g2 supply and higher plate voltage, CFB winding v. E-Linear with a faux pentode diff amp to tame its output z issues. More power does have its attraction. Also, it does not matter to me that there are a few designs going on at the same time.

Everybody does not have to build the same amp. I can make adaptations/alowances for almost anything within reason. There is a limited amount of designs I have acutually built. If you( colectively ) are willing to step out *WITH* me to tackle a variant/improvement I'd be quite happy to do that.

Alright to hell with simple. We're building 813's. Filament requirements are 10V/5A per valve. We'll run ~400V for g2 and 900-1kV on the plates.

Just as soon as I can get a proper OPTx designed for 20-20 @ 100W or so, and we'll be in business. I know where I want to start, but time is creeping quickly. Cathode feedback like a Quad II, with plate taps for E-Linear drivers. I am most of the way done. I don't see anything jumping out of the Long Grass at this point. It is debatalbe wether or not further design work is warranted, or if I should just make one and see if it works as intended, and modify as required.

I think I need to plot some g2 curves for that valve and see what g2 voltage I want to run pentodes at for a 1kV plate supply. If only Maggies were more efficient, this mess would not be required....
regards,
Douglas

Re: mmmmmm.... [message #30809 is a reply to message #30808] Fri, 04 March 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why is time creeping quickly??? What is this deadline??

Previous Topic: Filament Caps
Next Topic: Fil PS ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:19:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout