Home » Audio » Group Build » The Poinz!
The Poinz! [message #30675] Fri, 25 February 2005 07:35 Go to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Douglas,

I THINK I've settled on the Poinz. I like it's simple elegance. I am looking to begin acquiring parts.

I'm still considering both the 6L6 and 6V6 as output tubes. I haven't run accross any negative comments on either. So my question for you is this; what would you reccommend for an OPT?

I'm thinking a 10K a-a, with 20% taps for the 6V6, and 40% for the 6L6. But am not sure which vendor to purchase from. I'm looking for something over the top. Spare no expense. Katie bar the door, for this important piece of iron. Within reason of course.

Sooo, thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks

Joe

Re: The Poinz! [message #30676 is a reply to message #30675] Fri, 25 February 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can recommend one w/o hesitation. Availability is almost immediate. Two sets of screen taps at your specified tap points are availble. The core is good for 40W and then some( ~3 7/16 square inches v. 3 sq for the 60W Dynaco).

I have used this in amps from 6W on up( and still going up ) PP 845 or 813 is on the list. It's good Iron, great even, and the price is nearly unbelievable. CNC winding and stacking machines can do that to the bottom line. Hold onto your hat, the price each is ~$110. And the bill comes with the Iron, no payment up front is required with these folks. They are as good as their word and expect their customers to behave the same way.

regards,
Douglas

Re: The Poinz! [message #30677 is a reply to message #30676] Fri, 25 February 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Douglas,

Thanks!

I have enough squirreled away to cover a pair of these.

Joe

Re: The Poinz! [message #30678 is a reply to message #30677] Fri, 25 February 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Speak to Phil at Heyboer. Tell him to do the insulation just like the pair he did for me. All Nomex and no mylar( as in the original ). The tapping thing is just as easy, and comes in 10% increments. 20 and 40% is Nooooo problem. I can refresh Phil's memory, if he does not remember exactly what I specified, have him drop me a note.

I can't think of anything I'd rather have at even 5x that price point. Especially considering that I can get custom additions and such. I am going to get a pair just like this sooner or later. If I don't get distracted.
regards,
Douglas

Re: The Poinz! [message #30680 is a reply to message #30678] Fri, 25 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Douglas,

Talked to Phil @ Heyboer, he gave me part number 33F7952-2 for this OPT. Is that correct? Also the price he quoted is $150 which is swith in reason for me, but will take me another couple weeks to cover the increase.

Joe

Re: The Poinz! [message #30691 is a reply to message #30680] Fri, 25 February 2005 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'll call him on Monday, first thing and get the PN and build wrapped up and report back then. I wasn't aware of the price increase...my bad.
regards.
Douglas

Re: The Poinz! [message #30692 is a reply to message #30691] Fri, 25 February 2005 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The price Phil quoted was for one OPT. When I told him I would need a pair, he said they could go $135 each. Decent price considering what Mickey gets for his stuff!

Joe

Mass production techniques... [message #30693 is a reply to message #30692] Fri, 25 February 2005 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'd rather trust a machine to count turns than a man. I can trust the man to properly instruct the machine. I deal with Heyboer because I can get custom stuff fast enough to try before I get distracted and move on to something else.

There is no practical limit to what I can get from Phil. C-core stuff, signal Iron, OPTx's of many shapes and flavours.

I know Mikey is good at what he does. There are too many folks who say his stuff is good to ignore. That I can't deal with him is why I get my own stuff done. That it comes out as designed and cheaper is icing on the cake.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Mass production techniques... [message #30701 is a reply to message #30693] Fri, 25 February 2005 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yeah,

I followed some of your exchanges over on the dark side.

There is no doubt that Mikey's stuff is top shelf. But I don't believe that he is the last word in everything iron. And I think his prices are just too high. I can't see paying $800 for a pair of OPT's (ala SETH), nickle or no.

Any way I'm looking forward to this. Been lurking on these sites for years. Finally have an idea of what might stratch the itch, as they say.

Your help is appreciated more than I can communicate.

Joe

Just remember one thing... [message #30707 is a reply to message #30701] Fri, 25 February 2005 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Who or what ever is on the other side of an issue is always to be respected. Don't have to agree with them, just no overt chopping. No matter how richly it might be deserved.

I write this to remind myself too, not being perfect....
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Rs Filament supply
Next Topic: My CSS (if the pic works)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:45:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers