Home » Audio » Group Build » Going to build Gunevere with you guys...
Re: changes [message #30649 is a reply to message #30648] Wed, 23 February 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The heat is just a side issue. No relation to the overall sound. I borrowed another TX and the amp improved. Close to the same loading a-a, and tap points. On the 441 I found a few really silly behaviours, which would not have been there if the thing was properly coupled.

The 431 is a fairly simple wind. Not nearly as complex as another I have used( and had wound, and seen the instructions for ). They're not bad, just not excellent.

If we want to build like Doc Bottlehead does, the Dynaco stuff is a reasonable starting point. Doc's stuff is adequate but usually leaves you wanting more, hence the upgrade steps he offers. It is also allowing him to put a product out at near the bottom of the price pile. Not criticizing Doc, just explaining as I see it. I hope it does not offend anybody.
regards,
Douglas

Re: changes [message #30652 is a reply to message #30649] Wed, 23 February 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not at all; I have a maxed out Foreplay and have always obtained that it is very good for the money, but not really up there with the big boys.
Actually thats why we're here.
What I notice is something that while may sound simplistic always seems to be the case, BIG trans/caps and tubes=Big sound.
(5687 notwithstanding)
Say how is the Peerless thing going for you?
You know they just as of last week made huge volume's of Patents available free due to some lawsuit.
The Heybeour is definately a more substantial product than the Dyna. And better finished also.
She's a beauty.

acquisitions [message #30654 is a reply to message #30652] Wed, 23 February 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Life is good. I just picked up a piece of old lab equipment. Stuff inside is pretty nice. One eachof LS52 and LS54 UTC Linear Standard OPTx's. 8k a-a to voice coil and beyond. Getting them out ov the pots is going to take a bit of research into the assembly. The one with secondary taps to 500R I think would make an awesome headphone OPTx. They're 20 watts and 20-20 Plus in response( 7 to 50k ? ).

If you think of an amp as a modulated power supply, it makes perfect sense to make the PS as tough and capable as is possible. This sometimes gets into Forklift territory, along with consult your floor loading specification...

I'll say about the OPTx project that it is going well. I am designing a new wind and hope to get Phil at Heyboer making me the first prototype. It's a Tertiary winding design, similar in operation to the big Dynaco A441, but done a bit differently. Something more like a Quad II OPTx in turns ratio. It is about a project and a half out. I can't make up my mind what valve to use with it. Probably 813...that one has got too much potential. Run it gently and take ~60W or so in Class A. Definaltely a winter amp.

'block, just to refresh mymemory, you got the 8039 choke for Guinevere didn't you?
regards,
Douglas

Re: acquisitions [message #30657 is a reply to message #30654] Wed, 23 February 2005 15:33 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually I went with the Hammond 139. I went there for the 6CA4 and while there I just went ahead and ordered it. Time is ticking and I still don't have all my parts so at this point I just grab what I can.
I may be live with you later this week with some questions if thats allright?
While we are at it; short explanation of Tertiary winding and why that is beneficial? Can Heybeor do c-core or other variations do you know?

Previous Topic: supplier dealings
Next Topic: Tertiary winding OPTx windings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:10:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout