Home » Audio » General » P.T.Barnum Was Right
P.T.Barnum Was Right [message #3435] Fri, 11 August 2006 11:12 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There is a sucker born every minute and someone to take him. I see Peter Aczel who BTW has lost his second class Licsense to print his rag due to his inability to produce consistant issues; is back. As a cheat who reviewed in his earlier mag the Fourier Transform Loudspeakers as an independant reviewer and gave them a great review...until it was divulged by industry people that he had in fact a controlling interest in the company which he neglected to mention in the review; I am sure he will have more reviews of equipment done by his little group. Since he clearly states that all reviewers are suspect; except the ones who work for him; then I accept that he is correct about that; because he certianly is suspect, thats for sure. Sorry some audiophools give their money to support this lack of integrity and honesty. Too bad; but you know people want to hear what they want to hear and don't care a wit about whether the guy is honest or not. Thats why we have places like AA.
Sockpuppet Supreme.

Re: P.T.Barnum Was Right [message #3439 is a reply to message #3435] Fri, 11 August 2006 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Sockpuppet Supreme, I thought it stood for Attitudes Abound.
And not necessarily positive ones.

Re: P.T.Barnum Was Right [message #3442 is a reply to message #3439] Fri, 11 August 2006 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, the field of audio is sadly full of charlatans. Look at the "time alignment" crowd. What a sales pitch! When I see a loudspeaker company that uses "time aligned" in their sales rhetoric, I write them off as snake oil salesmen.

Many internet forums are full of sockpuppets and shills, so they're a natural home for charlatans and snake oil salesmen. But I can't help but think there must be some good ones. I'd like to know what sites you guys have seen that are pretty good. Maybe we should make a list of the good websites, and another list of those to avoid and why.

Re: P.T.Barnum Was Right [message #3446 is a reply to message #3442] Fri, 11 August 2006 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
AudioKarma is a nice site with friendly helpfull people. It's mainly a DIY thing which to me is good because it tends to eliminate the profit-hogs. But it does get a little simple some times.
DIYTube is a site that sells boards for amplifiers but the guys who run it are very sharp and helpfull and they charge really nothing for the boards which are very high quality. Sorry for the advertisement but they deserve it. You get good info on there. They have a DIY amp forum that deals with all kinds of circuits and they have even been known to have folks ship amps to them and repair them for free. Don't say I said so.
The Joelist is what it is; you'all know what I mean. But I like it.
DIY audio has a real large data base and that is very helpfull.
I have plenty more but I don't want to hog the thread.
Oh BTW there is ART; thats the best speaker forum out there.

Re: P.T.Barnum Was Right [message #3449 is a reply to message #3446] Fri, 11 August 2006 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'll have to add Head-Fi and Headwize on the decent forums list if you're looking at headphone stuff. These guys go all out on headphone rigs like some do on speaker rigs. The guys on Headwize in particular are very helpful, especially with tube gear.

I visit AK and DIYAudio often. AK people are very helpful.

As far as AA goes (I only look at the DIY Tubes section and Bottlehead forum), I've found that there seems to be a lot of bickering and such that goes on in the DIY area. Good info can be found if searched for, though, and there are a few that know their stuff and can be quite helpful with DIY questions, especially off-forum.

Re: P.T.Barnum Was Right [message #3450 is a reply to message #3449] Fri, 11 August 2006 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Ak is a good site and one of my favorites is a new one started by a group out west where I live. It's www.sound-thinking.org. Not many members and slow but I like it.

Re: P.T.Barnum Was Right [message #3451 is a reply to message #3450] Fri, 11 August 2006 21:38 Go to previous message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Has anyone frequented The Harmonic Discord recently?
I have not in a few years. So, I cannot comment on the quality of the discussion there.
I think that ART is one of the cleanest and nicest forums out there.
And Audio Karma comes in second for me.
I think AA and RAT are at the bottom of the barrel for conduct and decency. There is nothing like a good old flame war caused by sock puppets.
But, who cares if people are decent? Their abuse will help you forget about all of the other haters and abusers out there in the world. So, just consider it a diversion, RIGHT!
Norris

Previous Topic: BAS DIY Excellent Resource
Next Topic: Bunch of Cool Stuff
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:07:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers