Home » Audio » Group Build » Capacitors
Capacitors [message #30526] Mon, 14 February 2005 16:13 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I pulled the caps out of the box like a sixpac of Bud. Man these things are huge. And the transformer, you really don't get a sense of the size of these things from the pics. I feel like I am in Bedrock, with Fred and Barney.
This will be one extra pre-amp el grande.
Bought some steel I-Beam to hold 'em up.

Re: Capacitors [message #30527 is a reply to message #30526] Mon, 14 February 2005 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
There's going to be a lot of weight when things are done - that's for sure. I'm using an L-channel under the chassis. This will be placed in under the front mounting holes of botn Tx's and the choke, thus fewer scwers poking through the top (thanks GarMan).

Have you started to lay out the CCS? I ran into a concern last night the way I have things on the PC board. The output to the coupling cap and the power (B+ from MOSFETs) are pretty close together, about 1/2". I'm hopeing I'm not going to run into any problems with noise. I think this is where the shielded cable is really going to come in handy......Colin

Re: Capacitors [message #30529 is a reply to message #30527] Mon, 14 February 2005 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I just recieved my coupling caps and Trans. so tommorrow I start lay-out. Were you able to use Damir's photos for your CCS boards?
When you say boards; do you mean PC boards and if so where did you get them etched?
You never stated if you got the red LED's or where you got them.
I'm trying to form a mental pic of the set-up over the I-Beams. What exactly do you have tied to the beam?
If you ended up using the wood side panels how are mounting your RCA inputs?

Re: Capacitors [message #30531 is a reply to message #30529] Mon, 14 February 2005 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Damir's photo was invaluable in putting together the CCS. Keep it handy.

PC board is not the correct term. I used the plastic breadboards, the ones with lots of holes. You can get them at Rat Shack for a couple of bucks.

I got the LED from Parts Express. Rated at 1.7V and 20mA.

The L-beam has the 5687 heater parts and the CCS bread board.

RCA ins and outs will be mounted on the top plate ala Forepaly.

I'm having a bitch of a time placing all three caps under the hood. I wanted to mount the PS cap through a hole and out the top, but I decided against it. I think this is something I'm going to regreat later on.

My hook-up and bus wires were sent to day, so I should be up and running by the weekend (now there's some famous last words!)

What do you think of the new Tx? Now you can imagine my surprise when I picked my box up expecting only one to be in there. The spare Heyboer is sitting here. I'll hang on to it for as long as you like - no rush AT ALL........Colin

Re: Capacitors [message #30540 is a reply to message #30531] Tue, 15 February 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah;the breadboard PC is what I thought you meant. It isn't hard to etch PC traces but in the prototype stage it probably isn't wise.
Have you thought about what you would biuld with the extra trans?
They told me they would take the extras back if you needed them too.
Even if we found a good use there is still one extra unless someone else here wants to build their amp with it.
They are real nice pieces of work so anyone out there it's not too late!
And cheap too, you won't get anything like them for anywhere near the price.
Now's the time to get rid of those cheap peanut tube pre-amps. Believe me I noticed a huge difference when I went from 12ax7 to 6sn7's in my home system.

Re: Capacitors [message #30542 is a reply to message #30540] Tue, 15 February 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
ON the peanut tubes, the 5687 is the same size as an AU7/AT7/AX7 ( heh-heh-heh...).

There is one more thing y'all may want to do. Prepare for adding a second 9-pin socket so that you can run the 12B4 with its lower gain.

The mods are simple: 6 LED's instead of two.

and of course the second socket. Heater current for two at 12.6 is .6A instead of .45 for the 5687. Minor tweaks of the supply *MIGHT* be required if you want to hit the heater voltage +/- 1%
regards,
Douglas

Re: Capacitors [message #30554 is a reply to message #30542] Tue, 15 February 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know thats right. How would you wire up 6 LED's together. I mean exactly the physical attachment of the pieces?

LED's [message #30556 is a reply to message #30554] Tue, 15 February 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I take a strip of vector board about 5 holes wide and a few inches long for mounting them. Put them in series, and join the proper end to ground and put the other on the cathodes.

Please refer to Damir's drawing, I have to look closely at a built up one before I solder a new string together. It is basically long leg to short, but I can't remember if the long or the short goes to the cathode( and the other to ground ).
regards,
Douglas

Re: LED's [message #30560 is a reply to message #30556] Tue, 15 February 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Long lead is anode, connect positive.

Re: Capacitors [message #30561 is a reply to message #30542] Tue, 15 February 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How 'bout two blue LED's? Two in series makes the forward-bias voltage 9.4v. They're groovy looking too.

Previous Topic: PCB for the CCS
Next Topic: Silver Lining
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:44:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout