Home » Audio » Group Build » Guinevere layout tips?
Guinevere layout tips? [message #30487] Sat, 12 February 2005 10:09 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm starting to put things in place (now I know why they call it stuffing) are there any other tips to on placing components. Earlier it was mentioned that the DM2540s should be at right angles, which I've done. The Tx's and choke arealso set at right angles to one another.

I will be using Belden 8450 (2 conductor shielded w/drain) as much as possible for signal and power path. Heaters will be wired with silver-plated copper wire with Teflon insulation. I will mimick Bottlehead's SEX kit as much as possible for the appropriate wiring choice.

What about grounding the Tx and choke frames to earth? Also, the tube sockets I'm using have a center pen for ground. Should this go to earth as well?

Any and all suggestions are more than welcome......Colin

Re: Guinevere layout tips? [message #30488 is a reply to message #30487] Sat, 12 February 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
So far so good. keep the AC and iron away from the low level as much as you can. You are using a copper top plate right? So to start scrap the paint from one mounting lug of the power xformer so that it eather makes good contact with the top of the plate or to a bolt head to the under side. This will be the ac ground. Tie the AC ground (3rd wire) to a lug at this point. ground the choke to the top plate the same way, just to the plate, no lug
I will start a seprate message on gruonds and low level layout after lunch...John

Re: Guinevere layout tip, Cap mounting [message #30489 is a reply to message #30487] Sat, 12 February 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
A good way to mount that big honking 100mf oil cap.
Cut a hole in your top plate that the body will pass thru but not the lip, clean well. slide your cap in from the bottom and run a bead of GE silicone RTV around the lip. Smaller caps and parts, just glue to the chassie. I don't mean bathtub calk, this is the stuff they use to glue aquarium's together befor filling with hunderds of gallons of water.
This stuff is great. It rivels epoxy in it's bond yet is flexable enough that parts don't crack off from vibration or flexing. It is resistant to the heat found around tubes. is a very good insinulater and if you change your mind you can rescue your part with a sharp knife...John

Re: Guinevere layout tips? [message #30492 is a reply to message #30488] Sat, 12 February 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Ok, as to layout. working with a rectangular top plate we have the Xformer and choke at one end (you have to decide what is "front" a long or short side) now how about a power switch? AC connector and fuse if panel mounted. a good place for the switch is the near back corner next to the Xformer. Somplace easy to get to that you so you don't burn yourself on the rectifer. it can be up front but we want to keep the AC as far from our circut as we can. Next rectifer and big cap. We want the rectifer out were we can see it and bask in it's glow, so how about in front of the xformer, with the cap next/behind it, close by but not so close that it will cook. The cap is our B+ point and master ground point so don't hide it. Next input/output jacks and controls. Using a long side as front I would run my RCA jacks in 1 or 2 rows starting near the back corner away from the Xformer and my Vol control at front right. A slector switch could go next to it or in back near the jacks. If you are planing on more than 1 input, go ahead put the jacks in now and plan room for the switch but wait untill the pre is working well before adding them. Mount 1 or 2 tube sockets behind the vol control maybe 2" back, leave room between them and the jacks we have 2 large output cap and CCS to fit in there plus more tube sockets down the line...John

Re: Guinevere layout tip, Cap mounting [message #30512 is a reply to message #30489] Sun, 13 February 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The cap also can be omunted with a 2.5 inch clamp. Allied sells these, as well( I think ) as Angela.

A proper 2.5 inch holesaw does the trick for me. I have not figured how to do it well w/o a drill press. low RPM is required to keep the HSS from overheating and keep it straight and perpendicular.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Guinevere layout tips? [message #30536 is a reply to message #30492] Mon, 14 February 2005 21:07 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-hey!!!,
Don't forget the PS is a choke-input. Even the smalllish 193C is going to take up a bit of room, let alone the 8039. they radiate in both directions in line with the lamination stack. They oughtn't interfere with each other in a bad way, but if pointed the wrong direction could get into other stuff.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Ground scheme
Next Topic: Guinevere Schematic links
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:24:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers