Home » Audio » Group Build » an' if you want to get *REALLY* nutsy
an' if you want to get *REALLY* nutsy [message #30441] Thu, 10 February 2005 17:12 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can't seem to make up my mind between a PP 813 amp and a PP 845.

The 845 will be a bit simpler with the tools I currently have at hand. The 813 has it all over the 845 in the cool department. The 813 will likely run at lower B+ ( 700 v. 850-900 ), and will require anode caps....

Power from either is comparable. It is hard to tell the diff between 40 and 60 watts.

Either way, it is going to be an entirely Heyboer-Iron affair, and as it develops I plan to share the story.

Just for example, the 845 Iron budget could be:
Power TX
Main L
OPT
PP grid choke
power valve filament TX
driver valve filament TX
rectifier valve TX ( 866's of course!!!)
~$600/channel

and the rest:

Main misc. bits:
bias supply
PS capacitor
pair of coupling caps
4x hum pots
CCS makin's...
tube sockets
~$130

Valves:
2x 866 Hg vapour diodes
2x 10Y/801A
2x 845
if you stay away from NOS metal plate 845, you won't have to sell your first-born
~$400

good glow factor rating for sure!

Damn, that got expensive quick, whatinthehell was I thinking?
regards,
Douglas

Re: an' if you want to get *REALLY* nutsy [message #30442 is a reply to message #30441] Thu, 10 February 2005 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
The proverbial chanpaign taste and beer budget!

Joe

Re: an' if you want to get *REALLY* nutsy [message #30443 is a reply to message #30442] Thu, 10 February 2005 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
but if you do it slowly, it doesn't hurt so much....unlike pulling off a Band-Aid!

There is another reason to look more closely at the 813: it is easier to drive than the 845.

Also, no sense going to all the trouble of building when the parts or design are not top-shelf. THe assembly/craftsman labour is the same either way, might as well build a really good amp.

Another thing to lean toward the big ones: I already have a medium sized one, a 3-6 dB increase is required to be worthwhile. The medium sized amp is going to gome in at about half the price of the big DH amps with proportionally bigger power Iron.

If it were easy, everybody would be doing it.
regards,
Douglas

Re: an' if you want to get *REALLY* nutsy [message #30444 is a reply to message #30443] Thu, 10 February 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"If it were easy, everybody would be doing it."
This sentence tells the all - even experienced builders can have some "difficulties" with ~1kV B+, anode caps, multiple TX/chokes, Hg rectifiers, secondary voltages that can kill if you staring at it too long, high drive/IT TX - to name just the few.
Normally, go for it - the rest of us would read it with interest :-).

just in case.... [message #30445 is a reply to message #30444] Fri, 11 February 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think I'll prepare a last post from my wife to make in the event of an accident( before the cookies get deleted ).
regards,
Douglas

Re: just in case.... [message #30446 is a reply to message #30445] Fri, 11 February 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey, don`t jokin` around with it...we always need a man who can dig out round peace of green plastic, unscrew something in the middle, discard it and write the report, gratis - of course...
BTW - did you saw my RIAA post below?

if I can keep a few things.... [message #30484 is a reply to message #30446] Sat, 12 February 2005 05:00 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
you can sign me up. You can keep the donuts, I just want the shells.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: PP 845
Next Topic: DN2540's arrived in the mail today
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:29:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers