Home » Audio » Group Build » Stoetkit arrived!
Stoetkit arrived! [message #30379] Thu, 03 February 2005 15:32 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I know this forum is mostly for homebrew gear, and maybe some of it will transition into standardized builds. But I have to put in a plug for the little Stoetkit. I just got mine today, and I'm going to try real hard to make time to build it in the immediate future, and to document my progress. So I wanted to brag a little bit about this amazing amp.

Love the transformer covers [message #30380 is a reply to message #30379] Thu, 03 February 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What a neat idea. I'm curious to see how well they fold and seam.....Colin

Re: Love the transformer covers [message #30381 is a reply to message #30380] Fri, 04 February 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I like those transformer covers too. I'll be putting an hour or two on the kit this morning, and I'll probably form those today. I plan to put them in a vice surrounded by two thin pieces of wood. That will make the bend nice and straight.

This Stoetkit chassis was in my mind when I made the post about the chassis and transformer covers for Guinevere. It's a nice touch, makes 'em look like a million bucks. I think the biggest difference between the expensive high-end gear and some of the lesser cost options is aesthetics. Of course, quality iron and other components factor in too, but the high-end stuff all has polished chassis and transformer covers.

Re: Love the transformer covers [message #30382 is a reply to message #30381] Fri, 04 February 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds like a lot of fun Wayne, those amps sure look nice. The high end stuff, and polished chassis; Hmmm, let me see; 4-5k for a pre-amp, I need to get into the polishing business!!

Re: Love the transformer covers [message #30383 is a reply to message #30382] Fri, 04 February 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You know, I think you're right.

Aesthetics [message #30384 is a reply to message #30381] Fri, 04 February 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
With Guinevere, I've been putting a lot of thought into the aesthetics. You're right about looks; it makes all the difference. When the pre and amps are done, I plan on this being a showcase item for the house. Our neighborhood is really into in-home entertaining, and I want to show this off in the worst way. I have a place in the hearth room already picked out - just don't tell my wife

I got the base done last night. It is 4 pieces, joined with miter cuts, of pretty elaborate base/shoe moulding combo that we used in the kitchen in place of the standard toe kick. I got the copper top cut last week. One good thing about working with copper is that it can be scored and cut with a sharp utility knife. So, making a transformer cover out of "+" shaped piece, as in your kit, from copper seems to be a pretty attractive option. Again, I'm curious how it bends and seams. I know from expereice this is not a trivial thing to pull off and have it look right - you only get one shot per bend, and you have eight.

Please keep us posted on how it's coming......Colin

Re: Exposed Screws [message #30385 is a reply to message #30384] Fri, 04 February 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Colin,

What are you doing to minimize the number of exposed screw heads on your top plate to keep it clean? I have no problems with exposed screws that are used to attach items on top of the plate (ie transformers, tube sockets, IEC connectors, etc). However, exposed screws that attach items such as solder strips beneath the plate really bother me. The screw head just sits there on the plate all by itself, like a pimple.

Gar.

Re: Exposed Screws [message #30398 is a reply to message #30385] Fri, 04 February 2005 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Man, you're killing me. I hope I have enough holes (7) on the terminal strips that I can get away with 3-4 strips all together. I'll try not to drill new holes, but simply use existing screws on the tube sockets or chokes.

My copper is a little thinner than I would like, and I have some concern about the weight. With two trans and 2 chokes, we're looking at around 12-15 pounds. I do have a length of 1/4 x 1/4" copper l-channel that I'm going to solder on the bottom for support, so if worse comes to worse I can mount off of these as well.

My biggest problem is keeping the other metallic materials from touching the copper. The different metals in contact will tend to corrode one, in this case the copper. I'm going to be very careful in the mounting process by using lots of nylon washers as spacers......Colin

Re: Exposed Screws [message #30399 is a reply to message #30398] Fri, 04 February 2005 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
I've been watching this build with great interest, though I've got
too many projects lined up to participate now. As far as the screws go,
I like to use buttonhead screws where the head is visible. I've gotten
them in black oxide, and stainless, and I'm sure brass must be available
somewhare. The little internal hex on a size six or eight screw doesn't
detract from the nice rounded shape. You just coordinate the color with
your plate. Black oxide just about disappears on a black wrinkle painted
plate.

Skip Pack

Re: Exposed Screws [message #30404 is a reply to message #30399] Fri, 04 February 2005 19:10 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excellent!

Previous Topic: Heater PS schematic
Next Topic: Att: Damir.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:22:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio