Home » Audio » Group Build » 5687 heater filtering
5687 heater filtering [message #30220] Sat, 22 January 2005 18:46 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Is ther going to be any filtering between the heater elements and 6.3 tranny tap?

Re: 5687 heater filtering [message #30223 is a reply to message #30220] Sat, 22 January 2005 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have recommended a DC supply. It can be done CRC with the main transformer. I do recommend against this. It will be easier to isolate the signal B+ from what would almost certainly be a nooisy rectifier.

It is ~$11 more for a solid filament specific TX from Radio Shack. The 12.6-0-12.6/2A would get run full wave with a pair of Schottky diodes and CRC filtering to deliver the 12.6 VDC to the filaments at a half an amp. RCRC might be better as the charging events( spikes of current delivery to the capacitor at the peaks of the voltage wave-form ) of the first capacitor can spread themselves around and make things a bit dirty.

I have tried AC on 5687 and while I get close to tolerable hum it never quite got quiet enough. It is 4x the current delivered to a 12AU7 and that valve is just able to run a llinestage on AC( with a lot of care, see the Bottlehead efforts in that arena ).

I had specified two heater windings to offer maximum flexibility for rectifier choices, not to run the ampifier's DC filament supply. I am sorry if this was not clear before. It saves a bunch of headache to keep the filament and B+ DC supplies as seperate as is possible.
regards,
Douglas

RCRC values [message #30231 is a reply to message #30223] Sat, 22 January 2005 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, I remember the Radio Shack TX now. What RCRC values to go with. Sorry to be a PITA, but I'm trying real hard to get my orders together. Do you need the ND2540s? If so, send me your full name and mailing address, and I'll have them sent out gratis.....Colin

Re: RCRC values [message #30234 is a reply to message #30231] Sun, 23 January 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
R values are likely to be in the 1-3 Ohms. 2W/1R metal oxide film resistors are plenty cheap and offer maximum tunability. Capacitance vlaues of 4700/25V will be safe, even if youtake out the tubes and V goes to root2*RMS.

I appreciate the offer of MOSFETS, IFF when the project is done, there are extras, I'll still want to pay. Get extras anyway, it is possible that one or three get destroyed by accident and getting another order together would be troublesome. DN2540N5 are an item I do not like to be without, I have an adequate supply for my current needs.
regards,
Douglas

Re: RCRC values [message #30235 is a reply to message #30231] Sun, 23 January 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
R values are likely to be in the 1-3 Ohms. 2W/1R metal oxide film resistors are plenty cheap and offer maximum tunability. Capacitance vlaues of 4700/25V will be safe, even if youtake out the tubes and V goes to root2*RMS.

I appreciate the offer of MOSFETS, IFF when the project is done, there are extras, I'll still want to pay. Get extras anyway, it is possible that one or three get destroyed by accident and getting another order together would be troublesome. DN2540N5 are an item I do not like to be without, I have an adequate supply for my current needs.
regards,
Douglas

YOOO-HOOOO moderator! [message #30236 is a reply to message #30234] Sun, 23 January 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
pointing and clicking before morning stimulant dose, please delete this and my duplicate!

or give me a delete button... [message #30242 is a reply to message #30236] Sun, 23 January 2005 10:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
seems the latter would be a simpler choice and would allow me to take care of ridiculous mis-spelling, and other oversights....
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Please post exact transformer specs
Next Topic: CCS and batteries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 03:42:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers