Home » Audio » Group Build » Potentiometer
Potentiometer [message #30162] Thu, 20 January 2005 17:44 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, let's the dumbass questions begin

Why is the potentiometer 100k? Let's say I wanted to use the Sweetest Whispers stepped attenuator kit from Bottlehead; it's rated at 15k. What issues would I run into trying to use this in our preamp? Can the Sweet Whispers or the preamp's circuit be modified to make this work properly?

In reality I'll more than likely go with Alps Blue Velvet. Is this a good choice?

.....Colin

Re: Potentiometer [message #30166 is a reply to message #30162] Thu, 20 January 2005 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The 100k is just an easy grap from the RadioShack parts bin. It is not a bad sounding pot, and offers a light load to the source.

The E-T Sweet Whispes is a fine sub. As is the ALps Blue. Pick what ever you and your source are comfortable with. There are as many options for this as there are flavours of coupling cap.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Potentiometer [message #30174 is a reply to message #30162] Thu, 20 January 2005 22:22 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You can make a stepped attenuator using any values you like. It's a pretty easy thing in principle, just a lot of resistor pairs to form voltage dividers with precise ratios where both resistors of the pair add up to the same value. It makes a precise divider but switch contacts sometimes click as they go open for an instant before closing on the next resistor pair, or vice-versa.

By the way, I've put an OrCad schematic file online. If everyone would rather standardize on a different platform, I'd be happy to upload alternate file types. The nice thing about OrCad is that it has the option of laying out circuit boards and running PSpice analysis. We'll probably not have boards etched, but we may use Spice for some what-if analysis at some point in the future. And having a format for distributon of schematic drawings that allows easy modification of the schematics is nice too.

Previous Topic: Here's Guinevere
Next Topic: Schematic - first version
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:34:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout