Home » Audio » Group Build » trans order courtesy call
trans order courtesy call [message #30150] Thu, 20 January 2005 11:04 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Douglas suggested in an earlier post that those who wish to participate in the Pre-amp trans buy should arrange a day to call in order to facilitate ordering for the folks at Heyboer. Is this the most likely scenerio, or will you guys be going with individual orders? Just checking as a courtesy in case there are not enough to accomodate the quantity discount. Thanks All for your consideration; J.R.

Re: trans order courtesy call [message #30153 is a reply to message #30150] Thu, 20 January 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Somebody just give the word and I'm on the phone.....Colin

Re: trans order courtesy call [message #30154 is a reply to message #30153] Thu, 20 January 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Colin; I may be wrong but I get the impression we two might be somewhat similar in our abilities since many of the questions you have asked were the same things I needed to know; so If you would can I ask are you comfortable building from a schematic. I only ask because this would be the first time I have built strictly from a schematic, my other projects have included at least PC boards as a guide. Just wondering what your thoughts are.
About the call I too am ready.
BTW nice that all agreed to step up to the better trans even though it was quite a bit more than originally planned.
( The Swiss Army Knife Special),J.R.

Re: trans order courtesy call [message #30155 is a reply to message #30154] Thu, 20 January 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've built kits and one project from a schematic. Yeah, I'm pretty freaked out right now, but as the saying goes "no guts, no glory." I just don't want to see a $75 trany go up in smoke. I'm going to ask lots of really basic questions (read as: dumb.) You can bet I'm going to get on everyone's nerves, but that's how I learn and why this is going to be so much fun.

I'm really ready to order that peice of iron. Now we're one of the "big boys.".....Colin

PS. Did you get your copy (2/05) of aX yet? I posted my thoughts over at the tube forum.....Colin

Re: trans order courtesy call [message #30158 is a reply to message #30155] Thu, 20 January 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually I read that post this morning and stopped in at Borders but it is not in yet. sounds enticing. I have a nice library of books on tubes; some are a little rare but getting around to reading them at the pace I travel; about a page a day with this stuff, is not easy. I am still working on Sams Tube Amplifiers/ Basic No. 1. The Radio Amatuers Handbook is very helpfull also. You are more advanced than I so I will be following the questions you ask with some of my own.
We need to hear from Wayne soon; although I am sure he is busy as a one armed paper hanger this time of year.
Now if I can just learn to accept that electrons travel from positively charged poles to negatively charged poles I might get somewhere. I read Bruce Rozenblitts book where he says to just take that on faith, but since I have no faith it doesn't work.
Short List of Books on Hand:
Radiotron 3rd ed.
Essentials of Tube Radio/ Slurzberg and Osterheld
Electron Tubes/Kloeffler
Basic Electronics/Rider Series 4 books
It goes on and on. I only mention these in case anyone is familiar with them and can point to relevant chapters.

Re: trans order courtesy call [message #30173 is a reply to message #30158] Thu, 20 January 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Ironically, I've found that building from scratch is sometimes easier than from a kit. I've designed some pretty complicated circuits and building the prototype seemed easier than others things I've done that were all laid out for me. Maybe it's because when you go from schematic you are forced to visualize your layout ahead of time and you make yourself more familiar from the start. I dunno. I just know I've made a lot of prototypes in my days that looked impossibly complicated, like a mound of spaghetti and they weren't too bad to build, one wire at a time.

I think people will be suprised when building this. Not the veterans like Damir and Tnuctipun, maybe, but the first-time builders, for sure. It won't be hard to build and you'll be finished in no time at all. Then I think you'll be eager for more...

Re: trans order courtesy call [message #30182 is a reply to message #30173] Fri, 21 January 2005 08:57 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Wayne; that is the reassurance I was looking for. And thanks for orcading up the circuit. You guys are the best.

Previous Topic: Schematic - first version
Next Topic: Motor run cap
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:48:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout