Home » Audio » Group Build » Tranny Order
Tranny Order [message #30140] Wed, 19 January 2005 15:02 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Whats it gonna be boy's? Maybe by Friday or Monday look good for everyone? I need to see the schematic and I believe Colin also mentioned that. At this point I think I have it down but I would not bet the ranch on it just yet. One other question and that is would building the supply in a seperate enclosure make a difference in anyone's opinion?
What about gas tubes can they be used in this trans circuit?
There should also be a quantity discount from Mouser for the mosfets I think; no? I asked before but I know the questions are flying so excuse me if I am redundant but what about potting the trans; any advantage?
Thanks again one and all; J.R.

gas tubes/shunt regulated PS [message #30141 is a reply to message #30140] Wed, 19 January 2005 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
we're looking for a B+ on the order of 200V. Two 0C3 would do this( 105 x2).

this would, BTW allow the use of DH rectifiers like 5U4 and 5R4 w/o worrying about overvoltage-ing anything.

Try the 400V taps and get a raw supply of ~320v. plan on 50 mA through a dropping resistor to the reg tubes. looks like dropping 120V@50 mA. Ohm's Law to the rescue...2k4 and make it a 12 Watt WW( it's dissipating 6W in this app). So, from the filter cap, through the 2k4 resistor to our Node 1. from node 1 to ground, two 0C3 in series, with a 100k in parallel across the 'top' one. From Node 1 we attach the active plate loads ( the drain of the 'upper' mosfet, in the cascode version ).

Two more octal sockets, no big deal there. We get a 50 or so mA load for achievig critical current thorugh our L-C filter immediately. Two cool glowing purple-pink tubes.

Sound simple enough? you guys are getting complicated pretty fast. Best thing IMO would be hook up the PS to the 250 volt taps, and leave room for the gas tubes in Rev. 2( where you step up the ac voltage for providing the required headroom, and poke the holes in the chassis ).
regards,
Douglas

Revision 2 ?!? [message #30143 is a reply to message #30141] Wed, 19 January 2005 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Man, I am so freaked out right now. This is going to be so much fun.

T, please tell us when you order the tranny and choke. Also, please give us an order number or some reference number. I want to be able to call up and say "ditto" your order, so there are no fubars on my end.

So, where do you see this preamp going? What's your vision? Obviously you have given this a lot of time, thought and energy.

Re: Revision 2 ?!? [message #30144 is a reply to message #30143] Wed, 19 January 2005 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I am not getting any more Iron for a bit. I got one of the 8039 chokes( that's how I know the PN, it came on a sticker ) for a new revision( 5 ). I wrote the specs for the power Iron to cover as wide a range of PS configurations I could. For number 5, I am running 500-0-500. I'd rather use 550, but I think I can swing it with what I have on hand. Rev. 6 will need more like 750-0-750. This stuff just keeps getting more interesting.

I took on the low cost challenge, and then when the request for additional capability and recycleability came up, it was easy enough to accomodate. It was an interesting challenge to cut away the fat, yet leave the basic circuit alive.

The shunt reg's, done with gas tubes are on my list of 'expendables' for the time being. An active load ought to be able deal with the small amount of ripple left over from such a big choke and cap L-C filter easily. Since the load is not presenting exactly a constant load( the load is the regulated current + the current put into the amplifier and cables ), I am questioning the need for considering output impedance of the supply. Which one would have a lower impedance or more importantly, sonic effect is an open question for me. Neither sound bad, and I know the gas tube PS does sound really good.

The question remains, how much trouble is it worth? The VR tubes do look pretty good, no? The VR tubes also allow some more choices in rectifier. I'd rather see an indirectly heated like the GZ34, 6AX4's or 6CA4 if shunt reg's aren't used.

My linestage( Rev. 4 ) is very similar. I use 12B4A for the amplifier and gas tube shunt reg( two 0D3/VR150's ) for each channel. I used battery biased CCS instead of resistors so I could get away with minimum voltage headroom and heat generation. I also used battery biased active loads. I also used Mercury vapour rectifiers( two type 816's ), and implemented a 60 second delay to give the 816's time to warm up. Hg vapour type requires a warm up before application of voltage.

I buiilt Rev. 4 as a decompression project after turning in my MS Thesis last April. took about 2 days to get it singing.

I think that sooner or later I'm going to try an Iron coupled linestage. good optput TX are hard to come by. Fortunately a likely suspect has its drawings on file at Heyboer.
regards,
Douglas

Revision 6 - The Binford 750? (nt) [message #30145 is a reply to message #30144] Wed, 19 January 2005 23:26 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Sourcing parts
Next Topic: Here's Guinevere
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:28:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers