Home » Audio » Group Build » A suggestion for chassis
A suggestion for chassis [message #30099] Tue, 11 January 2005 14:42 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I know that sooner or later, someone going to start looking for a chassis for Guinevere. If you're interested in a woodframe/top-plate style chassis but don't have the tools or woodskills to build one, here a suggestion.

Go down to the framing department of a local craft store. Many of them would carry ready-made "shadow-box" frames that range from 2" to 3" deep for only $20 to $30. More expensive than the $8 in raw material, but you don't have to build it yourself. Plus, these frames come finished and have picture frame quality mitred corner joints. All these shadow boxes have an inner lip to allow you to mount the top plate from the bottom up, giving a very finished look. Add a couple of pieces of metal plates for $5 and you've got yourself a nice looking chassis.

The drawback of using these frames is that it's already assemble, so it's very difficult to thin out the front and rear panel to install connectors. Connectors will have to be installed on top plate Bottlehead style.

I've never tried this approach myself but think it's a very good option if you have no interest in woodworking. For myself, I going to keep making my own mediocre chassis with the hope that one of these days, I become good at it.

Gar.

Re: A suggestion for chassis [message #30100 is a reply to message #30099] Tue, 11 January 2005 17:43 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Your work looks pretty darn good from here. Nice idea; the shadow boxes. Maybe you can notch a groove in the rear with a router for mounting connectors; stabilise the unit with corner clamps and a vise and route out a groove in the center of the rear panel deep enough to allow a standard RCA jack to clear the frame. I have seen people drill oversize holes for mounting jacks in the rear panel then attaching a pre-drilled brass plate over the section of panel where the holes lay and mounting connectors on the brass or smoke colored acrylic also works.

Previous Topic: Guinevere PT options
Next Topic: Guienevere; PS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:52:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout