Home » Audio » Group Build » Guienevere; PS
Guienevere; PS [message #30097] Sun, 09 January 2005 14:47 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Douglas; are you out there? I am sorry to be PITA but I want a better power supply for the pre. I don't care what it cost. Any thoughts? I think I will build the amp section and wait for your input. Thanks; J.R.

Re: Guienevere; PS [message #30098 is a reply to message #30097] Mon, 10 January 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Although active load has much higher PSRR (Power Supply Rejection Ratio) or PS/tube isolation then passive (resistive) load, you can add additional filter stage(s). We have SS/tube diode bridge, then LC filter - simply add one LC filter for the right channel, and other LC filter for the left. You can use a small choke (say, "Hammond" 153E - 7H/25mA/770Ohms) and another "motor run" cap.

Re: Guienevere; PS [message #30107 is a reply to message #30097] Fri, 14 January 2005 10:56 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The PS is easy. Any of the 300-series Hammond: 369GX, 369JX, 369AX will all allow a simpler, all valve rectifier. The 30 Hy choke is the next upgradeable: I got a Heyboer HTS-8039, a 35 Hy and +100 mA inductor. It is bigger than a St-70's output TX and set me back $70 and shipping. The Hammond 30 Hy/40 mA/600 Ohm item is quite within its ratings for our application.

The single L-C supply gets 120cps ripple to less than a half volt P-P according to the PSUD sims I ran. The active plate load I suggested is quite capable of providing the required isolation from that sort of thing.

The question I have is: How much extra do you feel like spending, as the improvements will be far more incremental after an innitial upgrade. Also the 261G6 is rated at nearly twice the DC B+ as the TX's I suggested. A custom Heyboer might be a better option( detailed/suggested:http://audioroundtable.com/GroupBuild/messages/138.html ).

keep asking questions please, there's plenty of answers left...
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: A suggestion for chassis
Next Topic: Anybody starting to build yet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:15:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio