Home » Audio » Group Build » what in the hell is a 5861?
what in the hell is a 5861? [message #29972] Tue, 21 December 2004 14:47 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-Hey!!!,
Meduim sized microwave triode, mu=30, gm of 6 mA/V...that's a lot of gain, and probably a plate Z of 10k at a reasonable operating point.
regards,
Douglas

....damn Thrintun!

Re: what in the hell is a 5861? [message #29973 is a reply to message #29972] Tue, 21 December 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My mistake. Somehow I got that number stuck in my head. Sorry. The link below is the pre we're thinking of going with.

that's what I thought you meant... [message #29974 is a reply to message #29973] Tue, 21 December 2004 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-Hey!!!,
Anyway, it is a simple thing. Output Z, as dominated by that itsy-bitsy cap is going to be steep. 5 uF is a good place to start. Then we're still looking at ~3k from the 5687. So, is this good enough?

It is my opinion that if you're going to the bother of cutting holes in a chassis, it should be better.

A 300-0-300 plate winding and two 12AX4 damper diodes is a good place to start. Feed a choke, like Hammond's 30 Hy/40 mA and 100 uF of motor run cap and if you're past critical current( 20 or so mA ), you'll have less than a volt of ripple peak-to-peak.

Also, what about gain? be sure of the requirement, so as to avoid padding the volume control as a lot of folks have had to do when building with 12AU7's.

A single 12B4 is one of my fav's. or get nuts, and pick the 26, or 45, or 10...

And then, there is the question of plate loads. Resistive, CCS, or inductive? There are advantages to each to be sure. A single DN2540N5, a gate stoper resistor and a 1k/10 turn pot is one of the simpler ways of doing a CCS. Cost ~$5 depending on sourcing and shipping costs. Cascoding the 2540 is better but a bit more complex as well.
regards,
Douglas

....damned Thrintun!

Re: that's what I thought you meant... [message #29975 is a reply to message #29974] Tue, 21 December 2004 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The purpoae of this, the first, group build was to give the novice builder, like me, a chance to learn the basics. For me, this is the place to start and learn from you and others. This hobby is becoming a lost art, and I strongly belive simple projects like this will ensure its continued existance. These projects will offer one the skills to build larger, more complex gear. Considering the unknown financial limitations of those involved, a cost of around $100 (give or take) per build was being recommended

This particular preamp was chosen by another member because there is already a wealth of literature on this particluar design. Yes, you are correct, new audio ground is not being broken here. What we are trying achieve is a basis for future projects. The logistics of an internet group build is daunting in itself, muchless without struggling over modifications from the outset. Please, do not mistake me, I am all for "playing" with designs; that is what this hobby is all about. I will build the preamp stock; others will not.

Douglas, your knowlege of this science is apparent. To be honest, what I know about tubes could be written on the back of a postage stamp. It is people like you and others that I want to learn from. I truely look forward to future discussions with you....Regards, Colin

Re: what in the hell is a 5861? [message #29976 is a reply to message #29973] Tue, 21 December 2004 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi There T; This pre is based on the Audio Note M-7. Maybe you can school us here. The AN version uses 220 power transformer and a C-R-C filter. The one we look at uses a 350-0-350 power trans with a choke loaded filter. The specs on the 5687 go like this;
Plate Voltage 250
Grid Volt -12.5
Amp Factor 16
Plate Res. 3k ohm
Transconductance 5400 mho
Plate Current 12 ma
Grid Voltage -19v
Starting from this point where would you go in terms of
1. Power Trans
2. Filter.
Thanks Much for any help you share with us; J.R.
(I have a pair of the Bottlehead CCS)

alright then... [message #29977 is a reply to message #29975] Tue, 21 December 2004 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
Seems reasonable...

Take a slightly smaller simpler means of doing it.

180vac( or thereabouts, there is a 190-0190 Hammond, 2 or 369EX ), double for a CT winding or a full bridge on a single...hybrid bridge, SF4007 diodes to ground and a 6CA4 for the forward diodes. The same 30 Hy Hammond, and an eaBay-ed motor run of 240vac rating and ~100 uF.

This will get a reasonable B+. The single DN2540N5 with a reasonable heatsink will also allow the use of another output point, namely the source of the MOSFET. You'll have what is effectively a source follower output buffer. This also simplifies the cathode circuit because the triode still sees a constant curent, and no bypass is needed. Use a pot instead of a fixed resistor to set the current. try 10-15 mA.

The output coupling cap has already been mentioned.

the EX Hammond has 2.5A of 6.3, plenty for a 6CA4 and single 5687. DC can be done with a RadioShack TX and an LM317 should it be required at ~$20 additional.

Biasing of ~3 volts ought to give a good operating point, 2-4v is a good place to play. V=iR.

so, 2 nine pin sockets, 1 5687, 1 6CA4, 1 369EX( note 370AX is on sale for $36 ), 1 157G, one 80-100 uF/240vac motor run oiler, 2 5 uF motor run caps for the output coupling, 2 DN2540N5 mosfets, 510R 1/4 watt carbon comp gate stoppers, 2 1kOhm pots for current set, 4 RCA jacks, 1 stereo volume control ( R-S 100k Alps is ~$3 ), 4 red/20 mA LED's for bias, wire and chassis material.

so where are we?
regards,
Douglas

....damned Thrintun!

Re: alright then... [message #29978 is a reply to message #29977] Tue, 21 December 2004 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Uggh; Whats a motor run oiler BTW? What you have expressed seems to my uneducated mind as a very steeply regulated power supply; is that correct? If so is this designed to allow the use of a cheaper power trans? Assume we know nothing of engineering slang terms. If you could take some baby steps we would be forever in your debt. The load lines look better at a higher plate voltage. Is there something we missed? What does a full bridge on a single hybrid bridge mean? The Hammond trans coupled with the DC circuit ends up costing more than the 360-360; how is it better? Are you saying the CCS means you no longer need a cathode bypass cap? Thanks Much; J.R.

Sure, I'll play [message #29979 is a reply to message #29977] Tue, 21 December 2004 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I'm here to learn from the masters, so I'm in. Can you provide a schematic, just to make sure I get it right? Is this of your own design?......Colin

Re: alright then... [message #29980 is a reply to message #29978] Tue, 21 December 2004 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
HEy-hey!!!,
Motor run capacitor. GE's 97F series is an example. Metalized polypropylene in veggie oil.

Regulated, depends on what youcall regulated. recitfier to an LC filter, runniing at past critical current is pretty well regulated.

The recitfier thing. V-0-V allows two forward facing diodes( like tubes ). Full bridge it is called. V-V, or 0-V requires a full bridge of four diodes. One can substitute a twin diode like a 6CA4 or 5U4, or 6X4 in place of the two forward facing diodes and use SS for the 'back' side of the bridge.

It depends on how you use the CCS. A Bottlehead C4S won't work as a mu-follower style circuit. A mosfet can. if the load ( the amp ) is connected to the plate, and we're using a CCS as a plate load, the AC current taken by the load leaves a varying current through the valve, and therefore the cathode. Take the output at the source of a mosfet, above the current setting resistor, and the device will still provide the valve with CC, and supply the AC to the load. If the current is constant through the valve, we don't *REQUIRE* a bypasesed cathode. It may be useful to avoid hum coupling from the heater to bypass but that's another topic.

What is a 360-360?
regards,
Douglas

....damned Thrintun!

Re: Sure, I'll play [message #29981 is a reply to message #29979] Tue, 21 December 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The schematic will have to be a pen and paper deal. I am not skilled with the Electronic methods. Email me and I'll draw it up for you( probably make some copies too, or scan it and pass it around...

Own design is an interesting concept. I did not see this exact thing elsewhere in the exact form I will provide you( or anybody who asks ) with. I have build a few linestages, and will build a few more before I am done. This is about as simple as I think it can be done and still deliver 'the goods'.

If you are going to go DC on the filaments, the Hammond 261C6, E6, and G6 are all capable of running the rectifier, and are a bit cheaper.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Welcome!
Next Topic: Naming the 5687 Linestage...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:39:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio