Home » Audio » Group Build » what in the hell is a 5861?
Re: alright then... [message #29982 is a reply to message #29980] Tue, 21 December 2004 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
First Thanks for your help. The 360 360 I meant a 360-0-360 CT trans. I always understood the bypass cap on the cathode acted to eliminate the feedback through the cathode resistor. Why is the low plate voltage better for sound on the 5687? I have read that that tube sounds better with higher B+, but the Audio Note runs 200 v on the plate while the modified unit runs 330v. How does mixing tube and SS in the rectification circuit help? I warned you this was baby steps! Thanks again, you see this is such a radical change from the original we have to recharge the Dilithium Crystals.

Re: alright then... [message #29983 is a reply to message #29982] Tue, 21 December 2004 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
As far as voltage goes, there is no sense running up near max ratings. Once comfortable with some of the basics, and the circuit is working as expected, it is safer to push things around a bit. There might be something else to change by then...

On the rectifier thing, we need four diodes for a full bridge, since there is no certer tap to ground( the grounded CT, and two diodes is basically two out of phase half wave rectifiers ). Two diodes( one at each end ) form the curent path, one with the banded end to the filter, and the other with the un-banded end to ground. We keep the two with the unbanded ends to ground, and put a pair of vacuum diodes in place of the others, with the cathode( the hot part in a valve, banded end for SS ) to the filter. It is PN-junction noise free due to the vacuum diodes.

this made sense while I wrote it...and still when I read it. I have my fingers crossed.
regards,
Douglas

Let the game begin [message #29984 is a reply to message #29981] Tue, 21 December 2004 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Please scan it and pass it around to those you know are interested (i.e., Wayne, Manualbloc, myself). You might want to make a general posting requesting emails for those whom are interested. Please keep the schematic as clear as possible for us new guys. I'm trusting you on this one.

If there are various concepts / variations on the power supply side, please share. How easily are they simulated in PSU Designer? (I think that's the name.) Can we just pick one PS to go through the mathematical work-up? What other parameters of the PS can be calculated and can we discuss why they are important? What should we look for in terms of sourcing parts? I would also like to see theoretical discussion, not entirely by you (way too much effort for one person,) of the signal path. I realize this is old hat for you, but there are new guys (OK, me) out there that really want to learn this stuff. If they are anything like me, hands on is a much easier way to learn.

I realize the Holidays are upon us, but I think we can start some of the "thought experiments" anytime......Colin

Re: alright then... [message #29985 is a reply to message #29983] Tue, 21 December 2004 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You are explainig great; it is starting to seep through the concrete of my skull. Now the 5687; how do you like that tube and how does your circuit sound. How easy and what are possible sticking points to using your iteration?

Re: alright then... [message #29986 is a reply to message #29985] Tue, 21 December 2004 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I like the 5687 a lot. I will let you know about the next iteration when I have it built. In the mean time, I would caution you about trying Mercury vapor diodes like 816 and 83 until you are a bit more comfortable with the undeside of your own creation.

The other sticking points to a later iteration don't seem like sticking points anymore to me. Build the simplest one and they seem to evaporate with familiarity and practice.

The linestage sounds good. I have not listened to it with the single MOSFET plate load CCS in a ling time. It is easy to modify it to a cascode circuit later. The single *IS* simpler and easier to deal with at first. I would not have suggested it if I were not confident in the result.
regards,
Douglas

OrCad and PSpice [message #29987 is a reply to message #29984] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd be happy to draw the circuit in OrCad, which makes a nice looking schematic. It also makes it possible to analyze the circuit in PSpice or to generate a printed circuit board layout.

Re: alright then... [message #29988 is a reply to message #29986] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thank you; thanks for your help and a Very Merry Holiday to you and Yours.

Re: OrCad and PSpice [message #29990 is a reply to message #29987] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-hey!!!,
I am going to draw it on a 2x3 paper with a Sharpie, then photograph it at maximum resolution. Ought to be readable enough.
regards,
Douglas

Re: OrCad and PSpice [message #29991 is a reply to message #29990] Wed, 22 December 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's cool. The parts count is low, so that should be just fine. When I draw simple circuits like passive crossovers and things like that, I generally do 'em by hand with a paint program or something rather than CAD. Hand drawn schematics add a nostaligic touch too, and that's pretty grrovy for tube amps.

Some basics :-) [message #30003 is a reply to message #29978] Wed, 22 December 2004 13:26 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
CCS mean Constant Current Source, and you can imagine it like very high AC load resistance (hundreds of kOhms, even MegOhms), connected at the very high B+ supply (kiloVolts). Then our load line becomes horizontal, and in combination with linear tube like 5687 we have very little distortion and amplification about tube mu.
Output resistance of the common cathode line stage is load resistor in parallel with tube anode resistance. For 5687, rp
Previous Topic: Welcome!
Next Topic: Naming the 5687 Linestage...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 23:27:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio