Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Interconnects
Interconnects [message #29916] Tue, 02 October 2007 06:35 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I made a pair of interconnects last night with Cardas 18ga. magnet wire and Yarbo 50R RCAs.

The wire, called single strand Litz(!) from Michael Percy is $23 for 100ft., a screaming bargain when you consider the well-known Vampire is .75/ft.

The Yarbo are from Vt4C, $7/pr. $17 for a 3' pair of IC's, not bad. I put about 2 turns per inch on the wires in the electric drill.

They replace Heartland 89259/Eichmann bullets from CD to pre-amp. The Heartlands are really good sounding but roll off the highs a bit.

My effort sounds clearer on top and just as rich in the middle. Of course, they'll need a million hours to sound their best

Re: Interconnects [message #29917 is a reply to message #29916] Tue, 02 October 2007 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are good looking connectors. I think that's the most important thing, because it is a mechanical connection. Add a twisted pair of good wire and you're set! That Cardas 18 guage sounds like a good deal. I might have to follow in your footsteps on this one.

Re: Interconnects [message #29919 is a reply to message #29916] Fri, 12 October 2007 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Those are nice RCA's. I was looking to get some of these below to do the same thing. I've got their locking banana's for my speaker cables and like them as they connect well and are built solid.

Re: A cuppla things about connectors [message #29921 is a reply to message #29919] Sat, 13 October 2007 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've found that the 'serrations' on the hot pin of the Yarbo are a pain and may be tearing up the plating on the females sheath, for you Monty Python fans. Ouch!

Also, all the daytons I've tried are gold palte over cheap brass, or worse, gold over nickel over brass. The dayton banana adapters sound noticeably bad comapred with bare wire.

I would be suspicious of any connector that doesn't specifically state that it hasn't any nickel.

I've been delighted with Eichmanns (what a name, not his fault of course) and the brass Vampires. They cost a lot more than the ones in the link or the Daytons but make a difference I can hear, dammit. I suspect there is more to the connectors than to the wire or geometry.

Every once in a while I plunge for a pair of Vampire 800C which are gold over copper, no brass but very expensive. I now have enough for 1 pair of IC's. I'm doing that because of the great sound from a close-out phono cable I bought for 50 bucks that is terminated with the 800C. Can't be beat.

Also, I just replaced the AN silver speaker terminals on my 45 amp with solid, unplated copper Edison Price Music Posts. I can hear that change as well, more than any difference between the anti-cables, twisted pair Cardas Litz I made or some very expensive review cables I currently have on hand. The Music Posts also put a death grip on any spade. Finger tight means needing a screwdriver to get them off. No kidding.

Now, back to the game; Indians up 1-0, bottom of the third.

Re: A cuppla things about connectors [message #29922 is a reply to message #29921] Sat, 13 October 2007 22:56 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks!

I know with the locking bananas I got from GLS that I could hear little to no difference between them and bare wire. The one thing I liked was the 100% return policy they have. Just cost you shipping if you don't like them.

Previous Topic: Great tool!
Next Topic: Hand drill has a stuck chuck
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:48:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout