Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Trimming veneer
Trimming veneer [message #29912] Tue, 11 September 2007 08:29 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
About to do a large box in teak veneer. In the past I've laid the veneered box face down on MDF and trimmed with a very sharp knife. Seems to work well, but very time consuming.

I've also used an edge band trimmer, but always get tear-out going in and coming out, even with a new blade. Also, I've used a laminate trimmer bit designed for the roto-zip - the bit looks like a cylinder with a square notch. Again, not much luck as it tended to score the edge beyond repair.

Any ideas?......C

Re: Trimming veneer [message #29913 is a reply to message #29912] Tue, 11 September 2007 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
1. (this is what I do) Use a new, repeat, new blade in a utility knife. Cutting with the grain is almost automatic. Be careful across the grain. Saw with the blade rather that force it through in a single pass or you will crush the edge and cause tear-outs. Don't try to get flush with the knife. Leave 1/32" or so for sanding. Sand the edge down flush applying pressure only on the stroke into the box. Sanding out from the edge will cause tear-outs. To avoid cutting into the previous panel, you might lay a thin metal rule against the bottom of the veneer being cut and cut to this edge. That will give some support and make the cut a shearing action rather than a crushing action.

2. Use a down-cut spiral bit in a router. The best bit is 1/2" diameter pattern following bit. I tried a 1/4" bit, which worked OK, but the bearing failed. It was not a ball bearing. I believe that the 1/2" bits do have ball bearings.

Bob

Re: Trimming veneer [message #29914 is a reply to message #29913] Wed, 19 September 2007 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bob, Sorry for the delay. Thanks for answering. I've done 4 small cabs using technique #1. The results were pretty good, but very time intensive. I was just hoping to find a way to speed the process up a bit, but it looks like I rally can't......C

Re: Downshear flush trim bit [message #29915 is a reply to message #29913] Sun, 23 September 2007 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This is what I use being very careful not to nick the adjacent panel. Blue taping that panel the bearing rides on helps and leaves just a whisker to trim off with sandpaper for unbacked or a scary sharp block plane for paper backed, then sand.

Re: Downshear flush trim bit [message #61934 is a reply to message #29915] Wed, 24 February 2010 22:03 Go to previous message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
Thank god I found this post because I have been going nuts trying to cut the veneer on my new box. No matter what I do I always seem to tear it or it doesn't look right. So, I'm going to try one of the tips on here and let you know how it goes.
Previous Topic: Nitrocellulose
Next Topic: Need to find a cabinet refinisher
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:33:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout