Home » Audio » Craftsmen » finish for waterfall bubinga
finish for waterfall bubinga [message #29861] Sun, 14 January 2007 16:14 Go to next message
marc is currently offline  marc
Esquire
I have had some cabinets made by a local craftsman for a North Creek Manifest speaker kit. The cabinets have a veneer of waterfall bubinga and pommel bubinga looking for ideas on how to finish the cabinets. I do not have the ability to spray them so hand rub oil or wipe on poly or what do you think. The cabinets should be finished this Friday so I will be ready to put a finish on them this weekennd so give Me your ideas Thanks Marc

Re: finish for waterfall bubinga with Shellac [message #29862 is a reply to message #29861] Sun, 14 January 2007 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wipe on poly does look good but you can't repair it.

Bubinga is so dense it doesn't take oil very well except for Tung oil. Good ones are by Minwax and Waterlox.

Shellac is just as easy, better looking and easily repairable.

Just buy some Bulls-eye Amber, a qt od denatured alcohol and cheesecloth. Any paint store or home center has all three.

Stir the shellac and mix it with the alcohol 1:1 to get what is called a 1 1/2 lb. cut. Dip a piece of an old wool or cotton sock the size of a golfball when wadded up in the shellac and squeeze out any excess. Put the ball inside several layers of the cheesecloth.

Wipe in a circular pattern, overlapping somewhat until the entire piece is covered. You should feel a little drag as you wipe because the shellac dries so fast unless you have the ball too wet. Always start in from the edges to avoid build-up there.

Wait an hour and lightly rub the finish with 0000 steel wool with the grain or synthetic pad. All you want to do is level the finish, not remove it. Wipe off the powdered finish and steel wool with a Tack Cloth.

Recoat every hour until you have 5 coats. Then repeat the steel wool rub.

Apply 5 more coats with out using any steel wool.

Finally, wet a new ball with just the alcohol and lightly pass it over th finish, barely touching it.

Done. Wait'll you see the natural glow and color of the wood.

Re: finish for waterfall bubinga with Shellac [message #29863 is a reply to message #29862] Mon, 15 January 2007 11:12 Go to previous message
marc is currently offline  marc
Esquire
Thanks Bill; I think I will try it out this sounds like the best choice for Me . I will post some pic's when I get it done again thanks for the advice the amp cabinet looks great . Marc

Previous Topic: Finishing Cherry is a pain
Next Topic: Jasper jigs on sale
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:51:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout