Home » Audio » Craftsmen » painting MDF
painting MDF [message #29855] Fri, 29 December 2006 13:39 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Gentlemen, I have purchased the LT-2000 flats from Mr. Brines and I am interested in finishing the cabinets with paint---any expereince in sealing MDF? Types of sealer and types of paint? I was thinking these would look classy if I finsihed them to look like the old Moth sperakers --dark but shiny red with black plinth and false baffle--not sure I can get spray paint done by myslef so I was looking at brush application but no streaks or brush marks---- Jim

Re: painting MDF [message #29856 is a reply to message #29855] Fri, 29 December 2006 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Jim,

MDF takes paint well. I like shellac best for sealing the edges of MDF -- Bull's Eye straight out of the can is fine for edge sealing, although I would cut it at least 50% as a finish.

Since you are not going to spray, you can use a primer like Zinnser's. It comes in three flavors -- shellac, oil and water based. I prefer the shellac base because it dries fastest and sands best. Once you build up the primer base, you will have to sand down to at least 400 grit to get a smooth, mark free finish. and the 400 grid sanding needs to be wet, so make sure you don't go through the primer to the raw MDF.

You MAY be able to get a smooth brush stroke free finish with an oil based paint. You will probably have to wet sand out the brush marks and then spray on a polyurethane or acrylic clear coat.

A quality paint finish is a lot of work. This is why I don't advertise a paint finish and strongly discourage it to those without proper spray equipment.

Got any friends with spray equipment?

Bob

Re: painting MDF [message #29857 is a reply to message #29855] Sun, 31 December 2006 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
When I had to build 4 2Pi's all in white for a freinds workshop/playroom a local cabinet shop sprayed all 4 with white pre-catalysed lacquer for $185. You should check small shops in your area.

Re: painting MDF [message #64597 is a reply to message #29855] Fri, 05 November 2010 02:08 Go to previous message
Billie is currently offline  Billie
Chancellor
If you are not confident with spraying, practice with some off cuts of mdf first.

A good spray paint, durable and hard wearing can be purchased from a 'motor factors'. Car paint is available in primer, main colour and you can also buy the lacquer in high gloss as well as a matt finish.

In my experience, Vehicle spray paints are a lot cheaper than that of cabinet sprays.
Previous Topic: Wiring for small speakers
Next Topic: Transfer Media to Computer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:04:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout