Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Finishing Padauk is a pleasure
Finishing Padauk is a pleasure [message #29836] Tue, 21 November 2006 10:17 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had a third party affirmation of how gorgeous this wood is when I picked up another piece yesterday. The runner who brought it out from the millwork shop at the lumberyard asked, "what is this incredible wood?"

It's also cheap. Atleast in my neighborhood. I paid $24 for a piece 3/4x7x75, S4S.

I used Zinsser amber shellac diluted to a 1 Lb. cut and applied with a cotton sock balled up inside a piece of cheesecloth. The amber just slightly deepens the natural tone and makes it a bit browner and redder.

I padded on 5 coats and leveled each one with 4-0 steel wool. Then 5 more just left to dry. Finally, I wetted another pad with straight alcohol and very lightly passed it over to level the last coat. There's a natural glow you just don't get with any other finish.

I wish you all could see this base in person. My 1 meg pocket camera doesn't begin to show how the patterns and colors seem to be alive. Especially where the router bit revealed the quartered grain.

The black top plate will be recessed into the frame supported by the maple blocks. Those little black footers are Gabon Ebony without a hint of grain or other color. That's expensive! But if it's good enough for Yamamoto ....

Re: Finishing Padauk is a pleasure [message #29837 is a reply to message #29836] Wed, 22 November 2006 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Looks outstanding, Bill!

You're the reason dodgeball is being banned.... [message #29838 is a reply to message #29836] Wed, 22 November 2006 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
you make the rest of us feel inferior and are not helping our self-esteem. If such work continues, we will be forced to contact our local/state/national government officials to stop this obvious attempt at making us feel bad once and for all.

Re: Waddayou mean, no Dodgeball? I LUV Dodgeball! [message #29839 is a reply to message #29838] Wed, 22 November 2006 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Besides, anybody can do this kind of thing. If they choose to.

All I do is release the beauty that's already in the wood.
All It takes is a router, a chop saw, a few clamps and the finishing materials available in any paint store. In my case in a bedroom.
Of course, while making mistakes and ruining wood for over 40 years I've learned a few things, too.

You want to see the Wizard? Try Martinelli or Brown.

"That ain't workin', money fer nothin' and yer chicks fer free"

Here's my try at it. [message #29840 is a reply to message #29836] Thu, 07 December 2006 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Here's a little headphone stand I made one Sat. about a year ago. Padauk and purpleheart. Not as pretty as yours, but looks much better in person than this pic shows. I used about 10 coats of tung-oil on it.

Re: Here's my try at it. [message #29841 is a reply to message #29840] Thu, 07 December 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very nice. Graceful curves. And balanced-looking.

It's such a gas when the finish first hits the wood and the grain and color pops out.

You'll know better than most that I've been an oil finish guy for a long time. I've never had the equipment or space to spray lacquer and felt it looked kinda artificial. But, oh, that smooothness.

I've also held the belief that shellac was for grade school projects and a pain to brush on. Was I ever wrong. Not only does shellac do a better job of revealing the color and grain but the tactile part of it, that glass smoothness is fabulous. And padding makes it easy.

I'll still oil open pore wood like mahogany but for the rest, it's shellac.

Re: Here's my try at it. [message #29842 is a reply to message #29841] Thu, 07 December 2006 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It really does look nice. I saw it at last year's GPAF. Sweeeeet.

Re: Here's my try at it. [message #29843 is a reply to message #29841] Thu, 07 December 2006 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Wanna see something cool! I make, or used to when I had a place to shoot, homemade Cherokee style osage bows. NOT the ones you see at the antique flea markets for lookin' at, but ones I actually hunt with.

Take osage and clean it all up, then pat it down with liquid draino. The bright yellow hardwood turns a GORGEOUS orange-brown color! Hit it with a light wipe of a wet rag, let it dry, smooth with 1000 grit (0000 wool leaves behind metal particles that can rust or dull your scraper blades if the thing needs re-touched) and give it a finish of high gloss followed by low gloss poly or a handful of shellac coats.

Here's a pic of one I made my son that I just left with high gloss (more protection, and it's shiney!!) that I used several coats of draino on.

And another bow [message #29844 is a reply to message #29843] Thu, 07 December 2006 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: Here's my try at it. [message #29845 is a reply to message #29841] Sat, 09 December 2006 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
Bill,
I have used padded shellac on teak with very nice results. I first put a light coat of teak oil on it to pop the grain, wiping off any excess, let it set a day and then begin with the shellac. Even though teak is an open pore wood like mahogany it can still work well. Got the procedure from a book by Jeff Jewit.
Larry

Previous Topic: any stocks of Live Oak up north?
Next Topic: Nitrocellulose
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:51:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout