Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Filler for mitered edges that aren't flush?
Filler for mitered edges that aren't flush? [message #29820] Fri, 20 October 2006 19:14 Go to next message
Riot is currently offline  Riot
Chancellor
Working with African Mahogany. I've got maybe a 1/16" gap on 2 mitered corners. Started using one of those colored wax pencils, but not sure this is going to fill it. Also, I mis-drilled a screw hole and need to fill it as well. I'm only using a thin resin-based lacquer (dammar crystals dissolved in turpentine). Any advise on what to use to fill?

Re: Filler for mitered edges that aren't flush? [message #29821 is a reply to message #29820] Sat, 21 October 2006 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For just 1/16 there's several things to try.

Oldest trick in the book is to mix sawdust of the same wood with PVA (Elmers, Titebond, etc.) glue to make a paste.

Elmers makes a 'dark' glue you could mix with the sawdust to possibly better effect.

Mahogany has a pink cast and so does Bondo so that's a good filler. The wormholes often found in mahogany are filled with Bondo as recommended by Jeff Jewitt in his book Hand Applied Finishes.

If the miter is tight on the inside and gapped on the outside you could simply roundover the corners with router bit or sandpaper.

Finally, you could force the sawdust into the gaps and then shoot with the lacquer to set it. Then lightly sand as you would to level the lacquer between coats, anyway.

Let us know if any of these methods work.

Re: Filler for mitered edges that aren't flush? [message #29823 is a reply to message #29820] Mon, 23 October 2006 10:34 Go to previous message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
I like mixing some fine sawdust from the wood with a 2 part hobby poxy. A drop from each ought to do it. You could even use a hair dryer to get it to flow into the cracks. Mix it so it's pretty thick. 2 things, don't over do it with the hairdryer and "cook" it, sometimes the "fill" will be darker then the wood, test on scrap first to see if it's right for you.

Previous Topic: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood
Next Topic: Guess I'll have to build another base for the amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 21:01:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout