Home » Audio » Craftsmen » An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood
An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29805] Sun, 15 October 2006 11:58 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Home Depot has 'cabinet grade plywood on a skid on some deal
(forget the price exactly.) What is it and what's a good deal on
a sheet?

Re: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29807 is a reply to message #29805] Sun, 15 October 2006 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, we've had that off and on for a few years @ $25-$30. It's Chinese, the quality of the grain varies but the construction is first rate. I've used a lot of it.

If you really want a good deal, look for the top or bottom piece in the bunk which will always have indentations from the banding. Ask for a $10 (at least) discount. And if you see delamination on the edges, cut well away from it. That is it's weakness.

Re: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29808 is a reply to message #29807] Sun, 15 October 2006 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ok.

I don't build often so a lot of deals slide by.

The best stuff I saw at HD was oak one side, maple the
other. Never saw that but once.

Re: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29810 is a reply to message #29808] Mon, 16 October 2006 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
It depends how good of a grade you're looking for and how important the finish is to you. Personally, anything I've bought or saw @ Home Depot as far as "Cabinet Grade" was lame @ best. Find a reputable wood store in the hood, and go take a look @ a good sheet of Baltic Birch or cabinet grade plywood to see what I mean. It will cost you more then Home Depot for sure.

Re: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29811 is a reply to message #29810] Mon, 16 October 2006 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yup.

Every biggish city has a distributor or three that sells to cabinet shops. They generally have laminates, cabinet hardware, paper-backed veneer and hardwood plywood. GP and Weyerhauser are just 2 of the names that have Walnut and oak for around $90, cherry and mahogany a bit more and even exotics. I bought 'Chinese Walnut' out of Columbus from DSI for $52 a sheeet which is quite nice.
Good quality hardwood plywood and iron-on veneer edge-banding make using solid wood a wste of time and resources, at least for large speakers.

Re: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29812 is a reply to message #29811] Tue, 17 October 2006 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I always get confused on the solid wood issue. Some say it's a no-no because of resonances and ringing, others seems to use and like it just fine.

Re: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29813 is a reply to message #29812] Tue, 17 October 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the replies.

I just figured that cabinet grade (cheapo stuff from
HD might have less of the annoying "there's some
plywood" figuring in the panels.

One thing I found that should be more stable is
those glued up panels at Menards (in the Midwest USA).

They look like butcher block so I suppose it depends on
how dutchy your decor is.

Re: An uncraftsman question-- Cabinet grade plywood [message #29816 is a reply to message #29813] Tue, 17 October 2006 12:08 Go to previous message
Baron
IMO the pricier stuff has better glue between the laminates, not as many voids, doesn't splinter like the bargain brand, and has a harder, more solid feel to it. Again it's up to the individual what you're using it for and what you want to spend.

Previous Topic: "Whatever the question: Tri-Flow is the answer."
Next Topic: Filler for mitered edges that aren't flush?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:42:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio