Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Damar + ?? to lacquer African Mahogany ?
Damar + ?? to lacquer African Mahogany ? [message #29771] Sat, 26 August 2006 23:19 Go to next message
Riot is currently offline  Riot
Chancellor
Inspired by Charles Altmann's website mother-of-tone, I'd like to create a natural resin lacquer to brush on solid African Mahogany that will serve as the base of a DAC chassis. I initially planned to disolve Spruce Resin in Turpentine and Linseed Oil, but couldn't find any Spruce Resin locally. I ended up with Damar resin crystals. I know I have to dissolve these in pure turpentine, but I don't know whether I need to add any linseed oil. I know there are some real pros on this board. This is my first post in the Craftsman forum. Any advise for me? Thanks.

Re: Damar + ?? to lacquer African Mahogany ? [message #29772 is a reply to message #29771] Mon, 28 August 2006 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
All I know is that you need a carrier to act as a drying agent and to create a film. Boiled Linseed oil is most often used in varnishes. Whether or not the mixture needs a further drying agent such as japan driers only experimentation will tell you.
Perhaps the Fine Woodworking site ot Wood Web has the info you need.

Thanks Bill [message #29773 is a reply to message #29772] Tue, 29 August 2006 20:26 Go to previous message
Riot is currently offline  Riot
Chancellor
Thanks Bill for the input. From what I could find on the web, damar is dissolved in 100% pure gum turpentine. Apparently, it takes a few days to fully dissolve. I read one way to do this is add 1 part crystals to 1 part turpentine. You end up with a solution that is thicker than what you'd use, but then you thin it with add'l turpentine to the desired consistency. I'll try it and report back.

Previous Topic: Double Half-Caf Extra Hot Dry Grande Speakers?
Next Topic: Hey Colin!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:13:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout