Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Fianally got a decent table saw
Fianally got a decent table saw [message #29758] Sat, 15 July 2006 20:34 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm not sure if it is the last word in table saws, but I just purchased a Grizzly G0575. My son and I are putting it together. So far, so good. I hope to have it running tomorrow....Colin

PS. Thanks, Bill, for putting up with all my stupid questions...

First thing you can build [message #29759 is a reply to message #29758] Mon, 17 July 2006 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
is a crosscut sled. I built a new one for myself this year that measures 24" x 40" and do almost 50% of my cuts on it. Only took 2 hours to put together from scratch.

Re: First thing you can build [message #29760 is a reply to message #29759] Mon, 17 July 2006 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's going to be the first thing I build. Any hints (links?) on building one?...TIA, Colin

Re: First thing you can build [message #29761 is a reply to message #29760] Mon, 17 July 2006 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Crosscut sled is a pretty common item so there's lots of info on the net and in magazines. I built mine from info from an old Fine Woodworking video tape on Tablesaw Basics. Bill Fitzmaurice sells a plan for one for a few dollars on his website.

For runners, I used UHMW strips from Lee Valley. They're cut to fit exactly into the standard-sized mitre slots. They slide wells and don't bulge when you put a screw through them. I used hardwood as runners on my first sled and had to deal with change in temperature and humidity (I don't have a shop. I work outdoors.) Rockler or Woodcraft should carry UHMW runners too.

Most of your time will be spent adjusting the near fence so it's square to the cut. Trial and error, and a lot of patience. Goes without saying that before building the sled, blade has to be 100% parallel to the mitre slots.

Once you get used to using a sled, you'll want to build a family of them. One for mitre cuts. One for 45 degree bevels. One for dado blades. etc.

Re: First thing you can build [message #29762 is a reply to message #29761] Mon, 17 July 2006 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Just ordered the plans from Bill F's site. Trying to bribe Bill E. to come down and tutor me for a weekend. Thanks for answering my questions. I'm sure to have lots more......Colin

Re: One question you forgot to ask [message #29763 is a reply to message #29762] Sun, 23 July 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have the Fine Woodworking from many years ago that has the plans and pictures.
Flea markets always have old table saw miter gauges for cheap runners but UHMW is great stuff and Lee Valley is a terrific source.

Now ask me about a feather stick. And strongback. And zero clearance inserts.

Re: One question you forgot to ask [message #29764 is a reply to message #29763] Mon, 24 July 2006 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a Craftsman saw and there's no aftermarket zero clearance insert. So I did the old Bondo trick. Laid my insert upside down on wax paper and Bondo'ed over the opening. After letting it dry over night, slowly lowered it on the running blade.

Another advice. Get a good blade. It'll completely change your saw. I use a TENRYU Gold Metal, but the Forrest WW2 is very good too.

Re: One question you forgot to ask [message #29765 is a reply to message #29764] Mon, 24 July 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Both Rockler and MLCS show listings for zero clearance inserts for old Craftsman saws. I Have the MLCS insert in my 30 year-old Craftsman 10" contractor saw. Another possibility is to make your own out of 1/4" Masonite. Use you old insert as a pattern.

Agree on saw blades. I had been using a cheap Irwin 60-tooth blade, but switched to a Freud Avanti. Day/night difference. The Freud cuts faster, smoother and more accurately than the Irwin, and for not that much more money.

Bob

Re: Great blade on sale again and more zero clearance [message #29766 is a reply to message #29765] Tue, 25 July 2006 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
International has this Freund on sale again.
Absolutely chip free on even the cheap Chinese walnut and maple ply.

The crosscut sled is zero clearance all by itself.
It's hard to tell from the pic on Bill Fitz's site but I build them with a higher fence for clamping on auxiliary fences for cutting tenons.
I also attach a box to the front-center of the fence which guards the blade as it comes through when you push the fence to the limit of it's travel.
And finally, put a fence on the back of the sled. Then you can shim the workpiece tightly between front and rear fences to avoid slippage.

Making a zero clearance insert:
Use the stock plate as a template and cut 1/2" plywood to the shape.
Now run 1/2" #10 screws into the bottom of the insert so the heads sit on the flanges that hold it and adjust the screws to make the insert level with the table top.
Remove the 10" blade and replace with a 6" or 7".
Lower the blade all the way down below the level of the table (you can't do that with the stock 10")
Lock the fence CAREFULLY over as much of the insert as possible to hold it down, taking care not to cut the fence as you raise the blade with it spinning. It will cut a long enough kerf so you can repeat the process with the 10" blade to get the kerf full-size.
Make inserts for all your blades, thin kerf, regular and dado sizes.

Yes to box on the near fence. [message #29767 is a reply to message #29766] Wed, 26 July 2006 13:23 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You'll need the constant reminder of where NOT to hold on to when pushing the sled.

Previous Topic: Windex Clean&Shine for Wipe-on
Next Topic: Double Half-Caf Extra Hot Dry Grande Speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:27:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio