Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Applying a finish to stair treads
Applying a finish to stair treads [message #29736] Sun, 19 March 2006 13:44 Go to next message
Fred Simpson is currently offline  Fred Simpson
Esquire
I plan to stain my (expensive) oak stair treads, then finish with ???. I am hearing drying time of 72 hours for urethane when applied as a floor finish. Someone has mentioned Tung oil as a possible alternative that would dry much faster. Anyone have any experience with this finish on a heavy traffic area like floors/stairs?

Re: Applying a finish to stair treads [message #29737 is a reply to message #29736] Sun, 19 March 2006 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

The traditional high end finish has been Glitsa. You must wear a mask, remove all pets from the house, etc, etc. bad stuff but the premier floor finish. I have it on my hard wood floors. If you want to stain the floor beneath the finish any good stain like a minwax will do just fine. There are lots of brands and floor finishers use what the distributors carry.

I finished my main stair case myself and used a minwax stain to match moldings. the floors are raw. I used PARKS polyurethane that I bought at Home Depot. I would say the the stairs which get a lot of traffic are actually holding up better than the Glitsa on the floors.

I would recommend the Parks finish you can buy at HD. I'm planning to top coat the floor with it this summer.

Re: Applying a finish to stair treads [message #29738 is a reply to message #29737] Mon, 20 March 2006 08:50 Go to previous message
Fred Simpson is currently offline  Fred Simpson
Esquire
Thanks, Bill. Will look into Parks polyurethae at HD. Fred

Previous Topic: Opinions on Grizzly saw
Next Topic: Latest 'Fine Woodworking' Mag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:12:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio