Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Conical horn project
Conical horn project [message #29711] Sat, 31 December 2005 15:47 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I have an 8-petal conical horn on paper for a pair of AlNiCo RCA compression drivers. 1-3/8" throat and 18" axial length on a 35-degree included angle.

With the trapezoid petals cut to size, what would be the best way to get the 22.5-degree chamfer on the edges?

Since I have little in the way of tools, I suspect that paying somebody might just be teh easiest. I have a router, and can get the 22.5-degree chamfer bit, but holding the work so as to reduce opportunity for a mistake is a bit of a task I think.

Anybody feel like taking a shot? trade for ____? I have anything from tubes to amps to put on the block. Or if somebody shares some magic, I'd be off on my own.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Conical horn project [message #29712 is a reply to message #29711] Sun, 01 January 2006 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Mount the router to a piece of plywood or MDF for a temp router table. Cut a jig with the 22.5 angle large enough to be stable as it moves along the table. Use double-face tape to hold the workpiece to the jig. Yup. It really works!
SAme can be done with the tablesaw up against the rip fence or build a cross-cut sled.

Re: Conical horn project [message #29713 is a reply to message #29711] Thu, 05 January 2006 08:19 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

If you have router with a 1/2" collet and a router table with fence, these router bits would be a great option. Not as cheap as a homemade jig, but hell of a lot easier. For your 8-sided horn, you want the middle one.

gar.

Previous Topic: So you want some expensive cone feet?
Next Topic: Bonding metal to wood
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:00:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout