Home » Audio » Craftsmen » is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood?
is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? [message #29693] Sat, 03 December 2005 08:47 Go to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Hello Knights:

I'm building a chassis with whose four sides are made of alum and whose top and bottom plates (covers) are made of wood. what I want to do is to
secure the top and bottom plates in place by using a threaded bolt that goes through the alum box sides (right and left) and gets screwed into the top plate (so that the hardware from the top is blind). I'm a little worried about the wood "holding" the threads and not stripping out.

Is there a metal slug or threaded insert that we could drive into the top cover (on the inside) and that would be threaded say for a 4-40 or 6-32 threaded stock?

any other ideas?

cheers,

msl

Re: is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? Absolutely! [message #29694 is a reply to message #29693] Sat, 03 December 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Sorry I can't post an direct URL 'cause McMaster-Carr has a funny set-up. Go there and look under fasteners-threaded inserts-wood-hex-threaded (not knock-in)
All sizes and metal choices and a hex key runs them right into the requisite hole.
Just what you need.

BTW, what's a PEM nut? nt [message #29695 is a reply to message #29693] Sun, 04 December 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: BTW, what's a PEM nut? nt [message #29696 is a reply to message #29695] Sun, 04 December 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
for reference here is PEM nut's url

http://www.pemnet.com/

Re: is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? [message #29697 is a reply to message #29693] Sun, 04 December 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Bill:

here is a picture of the chassis that we are prototyping. The wood panels on the left and right will have two holes drilled through them all the way... the bottom panel is 1/4" thick (wood or alum) and the top panel (cover) is 3/8" thick (wood or alum)...

so... we want to bolt in through the bottom cover (so that the hardware is blind) and go through the holes on the two side panels and then fasten down the top panel (blindly) with slight compression.

so... we just need to figure out the best way to get threads into the underside of the top panel if we use wood.

thanks for the McMaster carr reference.... your correct... not an easy site to navigate at all.

cheers and thanks,

msl

Re: is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? [message #29698 is a reply to message #29697] Mon, 05 December 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm not following the "2 holes drilled thru the side panels all the way" but, you could always epoxy (JBWeld) a nut to the top panel underside and use a piece of all-thread from the bottom to create the compression.
Damn nice looking box, BTW, with the grain matching all the way 'round.
Why not just use 4/40 flat head screws from the top into a perfectly drilled countersink in the plate? They look good. Especially hex key heads. Then glue'n staple 3/4 round into each corner to receive threaded inserts for the screws.
If you're concerned about rattles you could rout an .125 wide dado all the way round the top and fit neoprene window screen spline so the top and bottom plates rest against it and not the wood.
There is also EAR Isodamp from Michael Percy in peel n'stick sheets you could attach to the plates (I did that for Bottlehead Paramours)
and gain a measure of vibration control.
Taco Hell, YUK!

Re: is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? Absolutely! [message #29699 is a reply to message #29694] Mon, 05 December 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I buy a lot of stuff from those folks also. PVC pipe and plastic, aluminum billet and tubing, stuff like that. When doing the loudspeaker heat exchanger project, Monte always handed me lists of stuff to get at McMaster-Carr.

Re: is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? [message #29700 is a reply to message #29698] Mon, 05 December 2005 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Bill:

Thanks for all the good ideas and pointers toward some sources. We've ordered up several different inserts to try out and see if any of them work for us.

Your neoprene window screen spline... that was heaven sent idea... for a variation of the "interface" box\chassis design that we have been wanting to try... again, thanks.

you mention the Isodamp materials... we will also be looking at damping, mass loading, and shielding issues\materials etc as the R&D evolves.

You ask about reviewing... I would be delighted... we are developing several products currently... a Moving Coil step up, a passive pre with iron, and an active pre with many pieces of iron in it. We are looking at late first quarter as our goal for getting some of these to market. I'll try to keep you apprised. And thanks for thinking of us and also for the link to the review site. Looks good.

cheers,

msl

Re: is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? [message #29701 is a reply to message #29698] Thu, 08 December 2005 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the leads and recommendations. We bought several different style inserts from McMasters and think part number 92398a113 is going to meet our needs.

I'll contact you offline re: reviews. Thanks for your interest.

Mike

Re: is there an equivalent PEM nut for wood? [message #29702 is a reply to message #29701] Fri, 09 December 2005 01:11 Go to previous message
Steve Eddy is currently offline  Steve Eddy
Chancellor

We bought several different style inserts from McMasters and think part number 92398a113 is going to meet our needs.

Gee Mike, just give away ALL our secrets why don't you!

Previous Topic: Latest woodworking projects
Next Topic: So you want some expensive cone feet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:56:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio