Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Who wants to hear about my test of pre-stains? Hands?
Who wants to hear about my test of pre-stains? Hands? [message #29674] Mon, 14 November 2005 15:56 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Min-Wax Pre-Stain Conditioner beat Formby's, Boiled Linseed oil and Mineral Spirits 10/90 and 50/50 and Zinnser Amber Shellac.
Yawn!

Re: Who wants to hear about my test of pre-stains? Hands? [message #29677 is a reply to message #29674] Tue, 15 November 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What wood do you find needs pre-stain more?
And what stain do you use on top?

When using water-based aniline, I find lightly spraying the surface with water first is all I need for even take-up.

g.

Re: Who wants to hear about my test of pre-stains? Hands? [message #29683 is a reply to message #29674] Tue, 15 November 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure glad this post was on topic. You can be a cut-up sometimes, and when you asked whether we wanted to hear about your tests of pre-stains, well, you get the idea.

Re: Who wants to hear about my test of pre-stains? Hands? [message #29685 is a reply to message #29683] Tue, 15 November 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, I actually did this for a DIY class at work. Pine, poplar and oak. The common folk all use oil based stains so it made sense. I had always thought that linseed and mineral spirits were just as good so why give Minwax the money. Was I wrong!
Minwax pre-stain conditioner rules.
Still way better to use dye stains in water unless grain-raising is a major issue like Purfling or Marquetry. Then use alcohol and be vewy, vewy careful.

How would you like your words prepared... [message #29687 is a reply to message #29685] Tue, 15 November 2005 18:20 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
before you eat them

Previous Topic: Pictures of my Hatorii Hanso sword.
Next Topic: you guys are amazing... this is one of my fave haunts...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 05:36:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio