Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Great. Now I need a band saw
Great. Now I need a band saw [message #29666] Tue, 18 October 2005 07:38 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I thought it would end with the tablesaw. After getting a tablesaw this summer, a really nice dado set on ebay, and building several crosscut sleds, vertical fence, I now do 80% of my projects with it. However, I've now convinced myself that I need a bandsaw too because I'm tired of cutting 8/4 hardwood with a jigsaw.

I don't have a dedicated shop. Everytime I need to use machinery, I have to bring it out from the shed, so portability is a requirement. If anyone's familiar with bandsaws, I'd appreciate advice on the following:

- what is the minimum size I should look at? 10", 12" 14"? I don't want to go any bigger than 14"
- how does rated hp translate to real-world cutting power? Will the entry level 1/3 hp be able to cut 8/4 hardwood cleanly? Will I need 1/2 hp, 3/4 hp or full 1 hp of power?
- what other brands should I look into outside of Delta and Craftsman?

thx,
gar.

Re: Great. Now I need a band saw [message #29668 is a reply to message #29666] Mon, 24 October 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Ridged makes a 14" band saw and that size would suit you well. Home Depot selld them for around 350. The ridged tools have been a great value from what I tell with some of the smaller tools.

Re: Great. Now I need a band saw [message #29669 is a reply to message #29668] Tue, 25 October 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The 14" 3/4hp models seems to be a pretty common size. "Entry-level" for "serious" models. Most manufacturers seems to have a version of this and I suspect they all come from the same factory in China. Love to own a Canadian-made General, but at over two grand...

I still don't know how much power I really need. My plan now is to get a used 10" 1/3hp bench-top model first to see how it goes. If it's underpowered, I can alway sell it and not lose much money. One of the things I love about the used market.

thx,
Gar.

Re: Great. Now I need a band saw [message #29670 is a reply to message #29669] Tue, 25 October 2005 21:52 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

General makes great machines.
and, yes I think most come from just a few different factories in the east. The big horse power is helpfull when you get into resaw work. typically your cutting 4" -10" thick with blades having 1 or 2 TPI.
For what your doing 1/2hp working 2" material would be good if your taking your time. 3/4 would be the nuts, and 1/3hpo would work but be underpowered and make you think evil thoughts.

If you going to be in the woodworking business you need a more commercial saw.

If your going to be in the woodworking hobby you should give up a few dead presidents, as they say nad you'll be set for life with a nice 14" saw.

If your toying around with some wood projects as a passing fad. Only then would I feel good about buying something entry level.

I tend to buy more expensive tools to last my life or less expensive tools to set up and do single operations for as long as they last.

Previous Topic: Old Trick For the New Dogs Out There
Next Topic: Etch-o-Matic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:52:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout