Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tuba18 Sub
Re: Not so fast there, excursion breath... [message #29639 is a reply to message #29638] Sat, 17 September 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My suggestion was to use a LAB12 in box that size tuned to 22Hz. It generates at least 15dB more output in the bottom octave from 25Hz to 50Hz than a speaker with the specs you've listed in any size sealed box.

Are you guys still at this? [message #29640 is a reply to message #29639] Mon, 19 September 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wow. Came back from the weekend and can't believe there's more posts. Kind of cool though as this is my first "skinny thread".

But all this bantering is distracting from the purpose of my original post which is: LOOK AT MY PRETTY SUB.

If you must know, I did a sweep on the sub last night with the 4th order lowpass on the plateamp set at 40Hz and this is how it sound in room BY EAR from top to bottom:
- slowly starts to roll in at 80Hz
- pretty flat between 60-50Hz
- peaks up at 40Hz
- drop at 30Hz, but still strong
- quickly rolls down below 30Hz

Re: Are you guys still at this? [message #29641 is a reply to message #29640] Mon, 19 September 2005 12:24 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry 'bout that Gar. No offense was meant to you or to Bill. Your speakers are awesome, and that horn looks great. I'll bet it sounds great too.

You know, there isn't a lot of material under 50Hz anyway, so having something strong above 50Hz is great and can sound thunderous. I only meant to point out that while the three π isn't a sub, it does generate deep bass. So for a sub to get underneath it and provide significant output takes something tuned pretty low.

A horn shifts to being a direct radiator below its passband, and since the rear chamber is a rather small sealed box, it has a hard time generating a lot of energy under that point. That's why I wanted to provide a suggestion. If you were running one π speakers or something smaller, a 50Hz horn would have made sense to me but in this case I would have preferred a subwoofer with lower cutoff, that's all.

Previous Topic: Solid State vs Vacuum Tube Finish
Next Topic: sub folded horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:39:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout