Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tuba18 Sub
Re: Tuba18 Sub [message #29619 is a reply to message #29616] Wed, 14 September 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No you wouldn't. They're going to my sister's place as soon I can build a chassis to house the plate-amp (which can take anywhere from one week to a year).

But you can still drop by next time you're in Toronto. Any chance you'll be crossing the lake in your new toy?

Gar.

Re: Tuba18 Sub [message #29620 is a reply to message #29619] Wed, 14 September 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Gar,

Yes, I'll be taking the boat across the lake next summer for sure.

Bill

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29621 is a reply to message #29618] Wed, 14 September 2005 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29622 is a reply to message #29621] Wed, 14 September 2005 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne; I don't think you got your point across.
Garman; man you do great work.

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29623 is a reply to message #29622] Wed, 14 September 2005 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Three points, briefly:

1. Small basshorns aren't horns. They are too small to be effective at low frequencies.
2. The complexity of a folded horn adds to its cost. The cabinet becomes a significant cost factor.
3. Gar's golf savings, "twisted economics" and his justification to his wife are all damn funny.

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29624 is a reply to message #29623] Thu, 15 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Item no 1 doesn't seem to be recognised. Your original post pointed that out so I wondered if anyone would have an opinion concerning that issue.
Seems like a lot of work if the same performance can be had much more easily.
It makes a great woodworking project though.
Item 2 is obvious and item three..well he was pretty funny there.

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29625 is a reply to message #29623] Thu, 15 September 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne,

On point number one, I don't think it was ever Fitz's intention to use the T18 in freespace. In his posts, he always directs users to face the unit into a corner to take advantage of room boundaries. Is there any difference between this approach and your corner horns?

gar

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29626 is a reply to message #29625] Thu, 15 September 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Corner placement of a bass bin is almost always a good thing. The position increases sensitivity by reducing radiation angle. It also tends to make bass response smoother. So that part is good. Without describing the features of a bass bin, one could say that corner loading is almost always a good thing, no matter what type of system it is.

Beyond that, corner loading of a truncated horn is something I would consider a requirement. But putting a horn in a corner doesn't lower the flare frequency very much, the real benefit to undersized horns is that it smooths response ripples. At very low frequency, the system is pretty much just a direct radiator and in this mode, the driver's excursion and other specs are more important than the horn part of the cabinet. The passages that make up the horn become useless under the flare frequency.

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29627 is a reply to message #29624] Thu, 15 September 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's the point. A 50Hz horn is going to produce the most output above 50Hz. No harm in that. If it is small, then corner loading will improve response ripples. But at subwoofer frequencies, it's going to act as a direct radiator. So it would probably be better to use a driver with specs that lended itself for subwoofer use, i.e. more surface area, lower resonance and greater excursion.

Re: Just because I'm in the mood to argue ... [message #29628 is a reply to message #29627] Thu, 15 September 2005 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Makes sense to me; thanks.

Previous Topic: Solid State vs Vacuum Tube Finish
Next Topic: sub folded horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:47:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio