Home » Audio » Craftsmen » How to deal with twisted cup?
How to deal with twisted cup? [message #29589] Fri, 02 September 2005 19:35 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a piece really nice curly birch that's 1/4" x 8" x 24", but it has twist and cup in it. What's the best way to flatten it out?

I tried wetting it for a few minutes and sandwitching it over-night. It came out flat but curved back during the course of a day. Should I try this again but soak the piece over-night first?

thx,
gar.

Re: It wants to be a tree [message #29590 is a reply to message #29589] Fri, 02 September 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Trees are round.
Wet heat in the form of steam is necessary. Put it in a sealed vessel (Ha!) steam it for a few minutes and clamp it to a flat surface to dry.
Or save it for kindling this winter.

Re: It wants to be a tree [message #29593 is a reply to message #29590] Tue, 06 September 2005 23:21 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You can make a quick and easy steam chamber out of a piece of steel duct and any old heat source hot enough to boil the water (just remember if your using a flame source to keep the direct heat away fromt he wood.) Done it plenty of times years ago making cherokee style bows. Learned that it's better to apply dry heat with a heat gun to dry wood and wet heat to newly cut wood after much messin up, though.

Previous Topic: Bill and Bill...
Next Topic: teak / bankerei oil on oak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:52:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout